Lawnmower wont start

bhrodriguez

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a troy bilt 42" cut. The motor turns over but then stops and I hear a whining sound. I have replaced the start and a new battery. I still get the same results. What should I check next?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a troy bilt 42" cut. The motor turns over but then stops and I hear a whining sound. I have replaced the start and a new battery. I still get the same results. What should I check next?

Whining sound is USUALLY from the starter, did you install the CORRECT starter on your engine..?? does it even start at all, was it running BEFORE you changed parts, we need your ENGINE info. to help us try to solve your issues, see (EXAMPLE) info SHOULD be located on your engine itself ....

GET INFO.JPG..... dec13_8.jpg...ENG ID.jpg
click to enlarge

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need to look and see what it's doing. I would pull the engine shrouds to get a good look at the flywheel ring gear and starter to see exactly what is happening. Is the starter gear not staying engaged with the ring gear? Are there missing teeth on the ring gear?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to look and see what it's doing. I would pull the engine shrouds to get a good look at the flywheel ring gear and starter to see exactly what is happening. Is the starter gear not staying engaged with the ring gear? Are there missing teeth on the ring gear?

Darryl,.....I was thinking wrong tooth-gear on starter pinion, IF it's a Briggs there's a 14 tooth, & a 16 tooth, if my foggy memory serves me right .