Bang for the Buck

KEVIN MCCUNE

Threads
What would be a good lawn mower (tractor style) for 2 acres under 2000$ ? The closest dealer to Me is a Husky dealer .

cruzenmike

Threads
If you are asking for the best Husqvarna for $2,000 then it is the one that costs $2,000. If you have other options, you can look at the John Deere E130 or the Cub Cadet LT46EFI or LT50. You may find something much nicer on the used market as well. A three year old X series John Deere would make a nice piece of equipment, or maybe even but a box store mower at half your budget if you know it was taken care of and save the rest? At $2,000 you have limited options new, and the Big Box stores will have 3-4 models to choose from, and each dealer will have 1-2 models to choose from (each brand). Typically at your price point you are just starting to get in to the V-twin engines, electronic PTO and up to 50" decks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are cutting 2 acres with a tractor in that price range, it better be a smooth piece of land. Bouncing around on a tractor in that price range, you’ll be lucky it lasts for three years.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
AWW c'mon Rivets, there's a bunch of us members with machines 10 to 20 years old that are runnin good, albeit from proper maintenance and repairs, my 46 in CHEAP arse Murray is a 2004, my CHEAP arse 42 in. (Black) Murray is a 2005, my CHEAP arse 42 in (Red) Murray is a 2003 ( sold it to my wifes grandson) and ALL are runnin great to this day, up until 3 years ago we used a 2002 CHEAP asrse MTD Yard-Machine 46 in to cut 3+ acres and NOT very smooth mind ya ! until it was stolen. I admit I have little knowledge of how these "newer models" hold up but I know if you take care of a half-way decent machine, it WILL last a LONNNNNG time !! I just bought this 1986 R.E.R. CHEAP arse Murray for $85.00 from a member of this Forum, runs a cuts like new !!

DSCN2498.jpg...20170609_141617.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Boo, stop and think a minute. You have a nice looking lawn and know how to maticulesly maintain a piece of equipment. Your needs are probably way different than the OP. Today’s mowers are built no way close to those 10, 15, 20 years ago and need even more attention. I will see at least a half dozen of mowers each summer, three or four years old, costing less than $2000 that need more than $300 in repairs each summer. There is not a tractor that I will recommend under $2000, for cutting more than 1/2 acre. My reply is based on my years of experience repairing and maintaining equipment. I’m not going to post something I can’t stand behind, plus anyone reading my posts must also read my signature before following what I say. If you don’t like my opinion, that’s your choice, but each person must make their own decision. Most people like to see how both sides affect their problem before making up their minds. My opinion may not be the same as yours, but that doesn’t mean it won’t help someone reading the thread, as most threads are read by many other looking to solve the same or similar problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As another mower repairer, I have to agree with Rivets.
Every year steel prices go up, aluminium prices go up, plastic prices go up, land prices go up, transport prices go up, but mower prices go down.
So only one way that can happen, cheaper materials.

So while I am way down here in Aus so not all that familiar with USA prices I seriously doubt that you will get much of a mower for under $ 5,000.
Mower companies spend a lot on making them look & feel solid, but thick powder coatings on tissue paper thin steel does not a good mower make.
They look really pretty but don't last, even with meticulous maintenance you would expect to be looking for another one in 5 years.

GO into a mower shop and have a look at the prices of Honda Self Propelled mowers.
These are quality mowers that will last for decades, you won't get much change from $ 2000 on the top line models .

If that is all your budget will stretch to go out and look for a used mower with a manual blade engagement and a vari-drive transmission.
Even then you will be looking a smaller decks 36" to 42" which will make mowing your property quite a chore.
I really like the Cub Cadet 2000 series, they will take a pounding, fall apart & keep on running, but Cub discontinued the spindles a few years back and they are getting hard to find.

Quality mowers use tapered roller bearings in the spindles ( as the above do ).
Slightly lesser quality use 6300 series deep groove bearings
Cheap ones use 6200 series bearings.

Also look at the blades, the wider & thicker the better.
The above mentioned Cubs use 3" wide blades that are 1/4" thick and they will last till they have been ground back to nothing.
Husqvarnas use 1.875" wide blades that are 1/8" thick and use the curved shape for strength.
These I regularly replace bent & twisted but rarely worn out

KEVIN MCCUNE

Threads
Thanks Folks .it is not lost on Me about those cheap those blades , My old 46 craftsman , would turn into a rototiller if you snagged a stump or a rock and I couldn'tfind a heavy set of blades for it . Am about ready to keep what I have and try to work around the defects .-Kevin

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks Folks .it is not lost on Me about those cheap those blades , My old 46 craftsman , would turn into a rototiller if you snagged a stump or a rock and I couldn't find a heavy set of blades for it . Am about ready to keep what I have and try to work around the defects .-Kevin

Yep,
I replace most of those with G3 gator blades.
The cut is not as good but they last for more than a season before they get turned into a plow.
The repair foot print is mostly rural / residential on the city outskirts so rocks, old star pickets and dropped gum branches grace most grassed areas.
There is very little on those old mowers that can not be repaired or replaced.
In particular have a good look at the lifting arms