toro timecutter electrical issue

Dooklet

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking for some help on a toro time cutter. first off it will not start and the fuel solenoid has constant power, always engaged. checked all my switches, they are all working correctly. switch is sending power to the solenoid, pto switch is engaging and disengaging properly. but i cannot figure out why my fuel solenoid has power with the switch off. it has one of those electronic brakes under the seat, i have power to it but they are not engaging, it does nothing. wandering if its a problem with that electronic brake or the harness its self. any advice would be appreciated, usually pretty simple but kinda kicking my butt right now.

Thanks,

Jon

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The fuel solenoid gets its power from the key switch. If the solenoid has power when the key switch is in the off position, I’m betting a bad key switch. If you have more problems, please post back with the units model and serial numbers, so we know which time cutter you are talking about.

Dooklet

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks Rivets for your reply. I was thinking key switch also, but with a new key switch or the switch being unplugged my solenoid still has power. it is always engaged, i am getting power from my switch to my starter solenoid when switch it turned buy still wont start.

Model- 74637
Serial- 314000618

jon

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your new key switch may be the problem, if you didn’t purchase it from your Toro dealer. Even then it may be the wrong one. First thing you should do is pull the plug from the switch and see if you have power to the fuel solenoid. No power, bad switch. Power, short in the system. Even if you have power with the plug removed, I would double check your switch. Look at the backside of both switches. They may look the same, but the terminals may be different. Terminals on the back of the switch are labeled with letters. M= magneto. L= lights. S= start. G= ground. A= accessories. You may have each of those letters, but they also must be in the same position.

Dooklet

Forum Newbie
Threads
Identical switch straight from Toro and they all match up. Fuel Solenoid has power even though it's unplugged. It was doing the same with the old switch.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have power to the fuel solenoid with the key switch connector unplugged, you have a short in the wiring harness. This may be a 30 minute search or a 6 hour hunt while pulling your hair out. I am not saying this will be easy, but three things will help, an assistant, a wiring diagram and lots of patience. I can’t help you with two of the three, but I will try to find you a wiring diagram. Problem is I just started a five day vacation, so I can’t get into my Toro files. I’ll see if I can find one on the internet or someone else may post one. Start testing at the solenoid, for voltage, and work back toward the battery. The first rule of electrical troubleshooting is; CHECK EVERYTHING TWICE AND DON’T ASSUME ANYTHING. WHEN IN DOUBT, TEST AGAIN. Good luck.

Dooklet

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Rivets, i will look at it again this afternoon. i will update when i figure something out.