ZTS 6000 - Always at full speed.

Leaky8

Threads
Hi,
I'm a newbie. The grass season is here and I have been remiss in getting ready.

At the end of last mowing season, I was finishing my last mowing for the year (5 acres)
and noticed a change in engine speed. I never really gave it that much thought UNTIL
I went to put it at idle and could not. It was if I had lost linkage or something. It was
dark and I told myself I would get to it. Well I didn't.

Engine starts fine, but goes to full throttle immediately.
The Control lever works fine and it operates linkages under Carb.
It will also CLOSE the choke when put in Start Posit.
However, lever has NO effect on engine speed.

Using the manual, I compared parts and it looks like everything is in place.
The Governor moves freely and it has it's 2 springs which are hard to see.

Just seems like something is missing. Any ideas or help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.
Leaky

Attachments

• IMG_4413.jpg
    IMG_4413.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 18

Luffydog

Threads
Welcome aboard:thumbsup: gonna need engine numbers so we can help find your prob. By looking at the pic from what I see possibly a Briggs. Get those numbers and post back so we can better help u find the prob.

Leaky8

Threads
Hi,

I didn't include sufficient data.
ZTS 6000
26/52 BS 107.289920
Date Code: 012809 2013 469663 170506

Not to confuse things.
There is another white paper label:
Build Date: 01.09
Model-4458770132B1
Serial-090106YG02532

Thanks.

Leaky

Leaky8

Threads
Thanks for feedback.
I have watched the video's and rechecked all the parts and linkages. I understand the Governor controls the idle.

Questions:
When the engine is in-started, should I be able to move throttle against the IDLE screw?
I am looking for an ENGINE Repair Manual. My Engine is a 445877 model and I'm told the
B&S 273521 will cover my Engine. Can anyone confirm this? What can I expect to pay for one?
Thanks.

Leaky

Luffydog

Threads
With the engine off the throttle linkage to governor should be at wide open throttle and you should be able to move it to the idle pos. Now with the engine running the governor will pull it to idle if not I say u have a governor issue. It might be the arm turning on the governor shaft or an internal issue to the governor itself. Some Briggs are famous for the turning on the inside and spinning and if that is true that part is made into the block and is not replaceable and at that point a new engine would prob be the best knowing it ran wide open and not knowing what damage it had caused. The carb wants to run the engine wide open and fast as it can the governor wants to run the engine as slow as it can.

Leaky8

Threads
With the engine off the throttle linkage to governor should be at wide open throttle and you should be able to move it to the idle pos. Now with the engine running the governor will pull it to idle if not I say u have a governor issue. It might be the arm turning on the governor shaft or an internal issue to the governor itself. Some Briggs are famous for the turning on the inside and spinning and if that is true that part is made into the block and is not replaceable and at that point a new engine would prob be the best knowing it ran wide open and not knowing what damage it had caused. The carb wants to run the engine wide open and fast as it can the governor wants to run the engine as slow as it can.
LufftyDog,
Thanks. I am leaning to it being the Governor. Can you speak to my manual question? A guy has a manual for sale for a Briggs & Stratton Intek V-Twin Cylinder OHV Repair Manual 273521-5/99 1999. I question how up to date it is based on the 1999. My Engine is at least a 2009 model year.
Thanks.

Leaky

Luffydog

Threads
It should be close to yours only two things might be different in all Briggs ohv engines is valve settings and the carb it self.

NorthBama

Threads
LufftyDog,
Thanks. I am leaning to it being the Governor. Can you speak to my manual question? A guy has a manual for sale for a Briggs & Stratton Intek V-Twin Cylinder OHV Repair Manual 273521-5/99 1999. I question how up to date it is based on the 1999. My Engine is at least a 2009 model year.
Thanks.

Leaky

I sent you a PM about a manual

Leaky8

Threads
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback and support.
Can't really complain about the Craftsman, I got it in 09 and she has
kept 5 acres of grass at bay since then.

Has the symptoms of a Governor problem MHO.

Need to open it up and see.
I'll provide feedback as I go.

Leaky