Mower runs but speeds up and slows down. Governor is engaging.

reelton

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Mower runs but speeds up and slows down. Governor is engaging.
Motor starts and runs, but keeps speeding up and slowing down. Governor is fluctuating, but it also backfires. I cleaned the carburetor and it was full of gunk, but no help. So I replaced the carb, still no help. This is a 31C7071346B1 engine. Hooked up a timing light and it would strobe, but about the time the engine would misfire, the strobe would be off. I'm thinking I was losing spark. I pulled the flywheel to check the key, it was slightly cut, so I replaced and torqued to 100 ft-lbs. Still fails. Checked the plug, gapped at .030. Cranked engine with plug removed and plugged up. Seems to be firing fine. Anybody have any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Threads
It seems to me you have the infamous Nikki carb on that engine ?? Am I right ???

Those carbs are known to hammer the gov......... You may have to take it back apart and do a complete clean out including the welch plug...... A good soaking in a carb dip or a ultra sonic cleaner then you have to press it in back in with a punch....

Or the gov it out of adjustment..... I have worked on 2 different mowers this past month that other people have worked on before I did and both govs were out of adjustment....... On their part of their repair....

Sometimes over the years govs need to be set again.........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Threads
Boo has a great link for these Nikki carbs... He will Chime in later ~!~!~!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

reelton

Forum Newbie
Threads
It seems to me you have the infamous Nikki carb on that engine ?? Am I right ???

Those carbs are known to hammer the gov......... You may have to take it back apart and do a complete clean out including the welch plug...... A good soaking in a carb dip or a ultra sonic cleaner then you have to press it in back in with a punch....

Or the gov it out of adjustment..... I have worked on 2 different mowers this past month that other people have worked on before I did and both govs were out of adjustment....... On their part of their repair....

Sometimes over the years govs need to be set again.........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

It is the Nikki carb. My daughter has the same engine with the same carb, so I swapped it and got the same results. Gov. adj. might be something to check into. A little background on mower. It was given to me just to haul it off. It had been worked on by someone previously. They had but the wrong shroud on( one for a 17.5 instead of the 20.0) The numbers on the valve cover are for the 20.0 hp. They also hung a huge spring on the choke to keep it pulled back, so know telling what else they did. Can you tellme how to adjust the Gov?
Thanks,
Ricky