Steelfort mower

slow_runner

Threads
I couldn't find a forum for the Steelfort so here it is. If the thread needs removing to an appropriate forum please do so.
I am hoping that someone can give me an idea of when this mower was manufactured. I am guessing 50's to mid 60's.
Yesterday I spoke with Steelfort here in NZ but there computer files on mower production only go back as far as 2000. They maybe have the paper on it but I got the impression that it would be time consuming for them and that is where that line of inquiry finished.
Does anyone have knowledge of this mower? Thanks.

Steelfort mower -.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know nothing of this brand but with that much plastic on it I would guess the late 70's into the 80's

cashman

Threads
Is that a 2 stroke Tecumseh? Probably mid '80's and beyond to have that style of graphics on a Tecumseh. You might look at the model, spec, and serial numbers on the engine and find out when the engine was manufactured. Good looking mower!

slow_runner

Threads
Hello BlazNT. The only plastic on it are the wheels and I am not convinced that they are original as they are differing pattern front to back.
The method of height adjustment suggests early. They are 5 position and selected/locked with a sprung steel lever.
There is a model number on it but as mentioned, Steelfort are not willing to hunt it down. The guy I spoke with has been in their emply for 25 years or so and has no knowledge of the pattern.
The Tecumseh is a two stroke and may be a later replant.
I have not come upon a Tecumseh before, although I have heard of them. I had always associated the name with a mower engine, then I discovered and read of Tecumseh the great Shawnee leader. Impressive!
I agree with you Cashman, it is a great looking mower.

Can the HP be determined on the motor appearance only or will I need to look further?

I'll put up an image of the instructions and controls on the motor

Tecumseh 2 (1).jpgTecumseh 2 (2).jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello BlazNT. The only plastic on it are the wheels and I am not convinced that they are original as they are differing pattern front to back.
The method of height adjustment suggests early. They are 5 position and selected/locked with a sprung steel lever.
There is a model number on it but as mentioned, Steelfort are not willing to hunt it down. The guy I spoke with has been in their emply for 25 years or so and has no knowledge of the pattern.
The Tecumseh is a two stroke and may be a later replant.
I have not come upon a Tecumseh before, although I have heard of them. I had always associated the name with a mower engine, then I discovered and read of Tecumseh the great Shawnee leader. Impressive!
I agree with you Cashman, it is a great looking mower.

Can the HP be determined on the motor appearance only or will I need to look further?

I'll put up an image of the instructions and controls on the motor

View attachment 37131View attachment 37132

I meant the plastic gas container. If the engine is changed from original it does not make any difference.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You will probably do better taking this to either
Outdoorking https://www.outdoorking.com
or
Vintage mowers http://www.vintagemowers.net

Despite having .com & .net domains they are both Australian based and have a lot of very clued in mower historians.

Some of the historian collectors are alos on the face book "vintage mowers" which I believe is free but I do not use F book ( & never will )

slow_runner

Threads
You will probably do better taking this to either
Outdoorking https://www.outdoorking.com
or
Vintage mowers http://www.vintagemowers.net

Despite having .com & .net domains they are both Australian based and have a lot of very clued in mower historians.

Some of the historian collectors are alos on the face book "vintage mowers" which I believe is free but I do not use F book ( & never will )

Thanks Bert. It is moot now as the mower has been sold to another. It was an appealing looking mower body that I was tempted to project. The reality (and in a moment of sane thinking:smile: ) is that I have enough on my plate.
Thank you for the reference to Outdoorking. I am registered here but I believe that to be able to particapate beyond just viewing require a subscription?
I am with you on the fb thing. If I wish to speak with friends, I telephone, email, write or call upon them.
Cheers.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks Bert. It is moot now as the mower has been sold to another. It was an appealing looking mower body that I was tempted to project. The reality (and in a moment of sane thinking:smile: ) is that I have enough on my plate.
Thank you for the reference to Outdoorking. I am registered here but I believe that to be able to particapate beyond just viewing require a subscription?
I am with you on the fb thing. If I wish to speak with friends, I telephone, email, write or call upon them.
Cheers.

The sad truth is nothing is ever free.
The operators of this site are selling your eyeballs to mower companies and related groups to recover the cost of running it, which will be well over a few grand a year.
Down here the market is small and fragmented so the potential for advertising revenue is very limited.
Both of the forums require donations but I look at it this way.
One manual for a Victa will cost $ 15 to $ 25 and there were 30 or so on there, ditto for Masport , Rover etc etc etc.
VIntage mowers allows limited access to most forums for free but a subscription to the downloads & classified section, again reasonable at $ 5/pa

slow_runner

Threads
The sad truth is nothing is ever free.
The operators of this site are selling your eyeballs to mower companies and related groups to recover the cost of running it, which will be well over a few grand a year.
Down here the market is small and fragmented so the potential for advertising revenue is very limited.
Both of the forums require donations but I look at it this way.
One manual for a Victa will cost $ 15 to $ 25 and there were 30 or so on there, ditto for Masport , Rover etc etc etc.
VIntage mowers allows limited access to most forums for free but a subscription to the downloads & classified section, again reasonable at $ 5/pa

That's correct, there are no free lunches.
I don't have a problem with the very reasonable small annual subscription to OutdoorKing. My confusion lay with my interpretation of the terms which I read as $5 sub per forum subsection. Being as I have a Victa and the hondas plus I felt that $10 or more, was a stretch:wink:
Nah, not really
So it is $5 sub for the whole forum?
Although I am registered there I am unable to post questions..

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That's correct, there are no free lunches.
I don't have a problem with the very reasonable small annual subscription to OutdoorKing. My confusion lay with my interpretation of the terms which I read as $5 sub per forum subsection. Being as I have a Victa and the hondas plus I felt that $10 or more, was a stretch:wink:
Nah, not really
So it is $5 sub for the whole forum?
Although I am registered there I am unable to post questions..

A lousy $ 5 gives you full access to the entire site, all subgroups.
Unless youget a message saying that what you are doing is not allowed then something is wrong with the settings on your browser.