Craftsman Chipper Mulcher - pull start on goes 4" then CLANK

meestahmarc

Threads
  • / Craftsman Chipper Mulcher - pull start on goes 4" then CLANK
Hi - this is my first post (YAY!!!). Got myself 2 acres in NJ... very happy and excited! Ready to get to work.

I bought a Craftsman Chipper Shredder... pristine condition, always garaged, no rust. It is a 8.5 HP green version 247.775880

Has a Tecumseh engine. I started it up at the seller (engine was cold), it fired up nicely and ran for a good bit (a few backfired, but it smoothed out).

When i got home and tried it several days later - I could not pull the started... pull it 4" and CLANK... nothing. I did not want to force it.

I took off the pull start cover - and it pulls nice and easy, the teeth come out - all looked good. I turned over the engine (I think) by turning the large nut, basically with my hand, it was not easy, but it spun. So put it back together and same thing... CLANK, would not pull.

Any suggestion would be grateful. I got a ton of leaves to mulch!!!! THANK YOU!

meestahmarc

Threads
One thing to add... in order for me to get the thing out of my SUV, I did have to tilt it toward it side, about 30 degrees or so, nothing major and it did not tip on it's side. Wondering if I got something into the combustion chamber, read a few things about hyrdolock... so odd that they pull start worked great off the machine and I was able to turn over the engine by hand (at least I think I was).

deck~dragger

Threads
Welcome, just bought a used one home last week myself. It is possible that there is a stray chip of wood lodged somewhere in the impeller area causing a bind?

First, pull the spark plug boot off plug before inspecting. Pull the pins to the shredder screen and pull out. Be careful, this is the blade area and they are sharp, so would be good to use leather gloves. Inspect with a flashlight and try rotating the impeller by hand.

The clanking noise could just be the flails flipping over?

If it is something about the engine, some of the other forum members will have to comment on that~Dragger

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need to find out of sure that the engine will turn over so remove the rewind starter (cover) remove spark plug then turn over the engine 360 to see if there is a problem, if there is no problem, then you know that the problem is with the rewind starter and needs to be check out, let us know.

meestahmarc

Threads
thanks. I will check it out this weekend.

Can I simply turn the big nut after I remove the starter cord casing cover?

I was thinking too that some thing might be stuck int he blade. When I tested it in the guys garage, chips were flying out, like something was lodged in there, not fully cleared out! But it was working great then, revved up and down, ran for like 5 minutes...

Wasn't expecting any issues. Thanks

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
thanks. I will check it out this weekend.

Can I simply turn the big nut after I remove the starter cord casing cover?

I was thinking too that some thing might be stuck int he blade. When I tested it in the guys garage, chips were flying out, like something was lodged in there, not fully cleared out! But it was working great then, revved up and down, ran for like 5 minutes...

Wasn't expecting any issues. Thanks

Yes take a look inside you may has you say have a foreign body in there, with the spark plug removed you should be able to turn it over with the flywheel nut if you wish.

meestahmarc

Threads
Got out there last night and took off the puller, pulled out the plug and tried to turn the large nut... it was stuck. I turned it in the reverse and it moved, went in reverse several times, then went forward... sprayed in some carb cleaner... put it all back together and started in up. I think it was hydralocked... I had a little oil leaking out onto the floor over the past two days, maybe from the cylinder? plenty of oil in the machine - as per the dip stick! Can't wait to use this thing this weekend!!! Thanks for the help.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
First chance you get, remove the blades from the disc and sharpen just enough to good edge, I used a small angle grinder (VERY delicately !!) and it made a world of difference in chipping

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good to know its back working, thanks for the feedback....:thumbsup:

deck~dragger

Threads
Got out there last night and took off the puller, pulled out the plug and tried to turn the large nut... it was stuck. I turned it in the reverse and it moved, went in reverse several times, then went forward... sprayed in some carb cleaner... put it all back together and started in up. I think it was hydralocked... I had a little oil leaking out onto the floor over the past two days, maybe from the cylinder? plenty of oil in the machine - as per the dip stick! Can't wait to use this thing this weekend!!! Thanks for the help.

Marc, I believe that model has the 12" dipstick and 3/4" of oil on the stick is at the full mark.