Looking for unbiased data on ZTR mowers

bgrunder

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, new to forum. Hope I am in the right area.
Can anyone direct me to data or comparison information for residential ztr mowers? I am shopping around for a mower for a small mowing business I have. Currently have an old JD 522 and it is in great working condition, but feel I am pushing it to its limits in the end. Any opinions, specs, information and or any data to look over to make a good decision would be grateful. Looking to stay under 5K at the moment. Thanks for your help everyone!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF ! UN-BIASED..EHHhh ??
I'm going to stick my neck out there and say you will get many opinions from the members about a Z mower, BUT I THINK that ALMOST everyone thinks their brand and model is the best for their purposes, You have POSSIBLY opened a can of worms..... ENJOY ! ..

welcome-smileys.png

bgrunder

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks I think. Hope this doesn't hurt too much! Guess if they think theirs is the best, I ask why and show me the reason why. I like to research so hard data is what I need for comparison. Thanks again

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Much of the selection of a ZTR or any mower for that matter comes down to brand availability in your areas as well as the size, layout and slopes of your lawn. Then there's what features are important to you. And is the lawn smooth or rough? Does it grow like crazy? Do you sometimes have to mow when the grass is wet? Do you expect to discharge, mulch or collect your clippings? Do you plan to be towing any implements or are you keeping your current tractor around for that? Basically it's not as simple as what mower is best, it's about what mower would be best for your needs and situation and we have no way of knowing that at this point.

With that said, some popular choices are Scag, Gravely, Bob-Cat, Ferris, Exmark, Husqvarna, Toro and Hustler. They all make full lines of ZTRs.

cruzenmike

Threads
Since you have a budget, find the mower that fits your needs most appropriately and has he best warranty all under $5k. Using the mower for "business" will get you about a year warranty on anything under that price point. Consumer warranties at that price point are 3-4 years. That aside, you would be best off with a deck size that fits where you need it to, an engine powerful enough to cut through tall, damp grass and a mower that is quick enough to make the best use of your time. My vote (which I have never used one) would be the Exmark Radius E. Doesn't sound too biased.....

Disclaimer: I do not cut commercially, but have researched the heck out of mowers and at $5k the Exmark offers the best value. Beside that would maybe be a Gravely ZT HD or a Scag Liberty Z?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I somehow missed that the OP is mowing commercially. In that case I think a commercial walk-behind mower is a better choice than a ZTR.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your 522 is a good machine and if it is standing up to what you are asking it to do, stay with it.
IF you end up having to mow a lot of wet grass just drop a bigger engine into it.
Optimum deck size will always be a trade off between tanking less passes on wide open spaces and having to do more trimming in places where it won't fit.

Watch the deck hangers and the lift arm.
Customers who use these commercially have problems with them cracking and braking off.
I have welded a couple and strengthened them with a length of old blade welded onto them.