10HP Briggs engine hard to start

Dsawyer44

Threads
I have a 10HP Briggs and stratton engine on an emergency generator. It is Model #19G412 and has a Walbro 5-4993 carb.
The only way i can get it to start is to put gas in the spark plug hole. Once it starts up, it will start again as long as it is still warm. I have cleaned the carb twice. The choke closes all the way but will not put gas in the cylinder. Also the carb is tight without any vacuum leaks. It has a fuel pump and the tank is above the carb. Any help will be appreciated.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
its not getting the rich mixture for start up so has to be a carb problem if the fuel pump works fine when running, did you clean out all the holes in part number 142 when you did the work.

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 14

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

Dsawyer44

Threads
Thanks for everyones help. I tried to clean the carb again but couldn't get the jet out. I think i'll buy a new carb because it starts right up if i add fuel in the spark plug hole. There must be a small hole where it suck gas through when the choke is closed.

Dsawyer44

Threads
its not getting the rich mixture for start up so has to be a carb problem if the fuel pump works fine when running, did you clean out all the holes in part number 142 when you did the work.
Thanks for your help.

Dsawyer44

Threads

Dsawyer44

Threads
I have a 10HP Briggs and stratton engine on an emergency generator. It is Model #19G412 and has a Walbro 5-4993 carb.
The only way i can get it to start is to put gas in the spark plug hole. Once it starts up, it will start again as long as it is still warm. I have cleaned the carb twice. The choke closes all the way but will not put gas in the cylinder. Also the carb is tight without any vacuum leaks. It has a fuel pump and the tank is above the carb. Any help will be appreciated.