Engine will fire w/starter fluid, but dies immediately

SmallEng2628

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Engine will fire w/starter fluid, but dies immediately
Hi, I have a Toro lawnmower. But this is a general question for any similar small engines w/these symptoms. I have two engines now that have ignition OK, but will not continue to run.

The first engine, after one ignition using the starter fluid, will run about 3 seconds and die.
It was starting fine but not idling well so I squirted just a little carb cleaner into the air intake (throttle housing) to start it . So it acts like it
is not getting the gas.

The other small engine: this one doesn't need starter fluid to get it to ignite, it runs for only 3 seconds and dies. Again, on that one, seem it is not getting any gas.
Thanks for your help, Steve

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
there are no general questions when it comes to lawn mower engines. How about supplying the model number of the engines so we can see what carb have, or even which engine brand we are discussing. Kohler uses different carbs than briggs, different than Honda, different than Briggs, or Tecumseh.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi, I have a Toro lawnmower. But this is a general question for any similar small engines w/these symptoms. I have two engines now that have ignition OK, but will not continue to run.

The first engine, after one ignition using the starter fluid, will run about 3 seconds and die.
It was starting fine but not idling well so I squirted just a little carb cleaner into the air intake (throttle housing) to start it . So it acts like it
is not getting the gas.

The other small engine: this one doesn't need starter fluid to get it to ignite, it runs for only 3 seconds and dies. Again, on that one, seem it is not getting any gas.

Bingo. You've identified the problem.

Now, to fix it: That usually involves a complete disassembly of the carburetor, thorough cleaning of every passage, and replacement of any needed parts. That assumes gas is getting to the carburetor in the first place.

SmallEng2628

Forum Newbie
Threads
ILENGINE, thanks so much, I will get back to you with the Model and serial for the Toro. The other engine is a Stihl Mode 075, same problem
Thanks again, will get back to you, Steve

is not getting the gas.