Oil/filter change interval using a Fram ultra 3416

Patrick0525

Threads
What is the forum's opinion?

I have a 2017 cub cadet with a Kohler 7000 command and plan to do oil every 50hrs and filter every 100hrs using a Fran ultra. The oil is T5 10w-30.

As a side-note, my car Toyota V6's OCI is 5000 mi and a Fram ultra every 10K mi. The car says I average 37mi/hr or 270 hrs for 10K mi. So far my Blackstone oil analysis has been normal.

In theory, I could do OCI every 100hrs and Fram ultra every 200hrs.
But this is an air cooled engine and 200 hrs it would take 8 years.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I guess I don't understand your reasoning. For what little cost and labor why not change oil and filter every 50 hours. ???? Why would you use a dirty oil filter with fresh oil?
Just think of the big savings you would have with the 200 hour oil changes so I say go for it.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Change it once a year.

I would not use a Fram filter if others are available.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Change it once a year.

I would not use a Fram filter if others are available.

This is what I do and most all my customers, the once a year oil and filter change. The OP didn't say how many hours he puts on his mower in a years time. I have used Fram filters in the pass when that is all I had and have to say never had a problem with them.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is what I do and most all my customers, the once a year oil and filter change. The OP didn't say how many hours he puts on his mower in a years time. I have used Fram filters in the pass when that is all I had and have to say never had a problem with them.

I never had a problem with Fram, either, and I've used a lot of them. Then I read that Fram is the most counterfeited brand of oil filter and I'd like to avoid that. That's why I don't use them now.

Patrick0525

Threads
I put on approx 25 hrs/yr for a season. Oil filters are most efficient when they are loaded with debris and the lifetime of dry starts after a oil change are kept at minimum. Fram synthetic filters -ultras on my toyota can do 10K mi and post oil analysis at Blackstone labs verify normal wear metal averages.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do oil and filter changes together every 100 hours using genuine engine-branded filters and oil, in my case Kawasaki. I'm not in a position to second guess my engine manufacturer's choice of oil and filters...I figure they probably know more about them than me and have engineered them specifically for their products.

Patrick0525

Threads
I believe Kohler recommends oil and filter every 100hr.
Cub Cadet recommends both every 50hrs.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless you are a commercial mower, change the oil and filter at the end of every season.
Keeps things simple.
Immediatly the mower comes in from the last mow drain the oil , change the oil, filter, air filter and grease the mower then run it for a few minutes to circulate the oil and fill the filter, turn off the fuel, run the carb dry, remove the blower housing to clean out any debris around the cooling fins then LEAVE THE COVER OFF, you might need to plug the end of the carb to prevent small animals taking residence in there, pump the tyres up and if you are really fanatical put the mower on jack stands wheels off the ground.

For most users this will be more than enough.
If you feel the intervals are too long then pick a particular weekend mid season for a mid season oil change.
Do it at the same time every year and it will get done.
Watch the hour meter and you will never get around to doing it.

It has taken 5 years but I ave finally got most of the customers on a 1, 2 or 3 year service regular service set by a date so it can go in the diary and actually happen.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oil & Filter are about the lowest cost items on a machine. I average 25 hours a year. If I only put 5 hours on in a year, I would still do oil & filter change. Oil doesn't break down, but the additives do.

Did you ever see the Date the oil was made stamped on back lower part of oil jugs ? That's when it was made, If that date is more than 5 years old, I won't buy that oil.

I do my full service at end of each mowing year.

Then I enter the hours & date into my log.