Mower deck Need help diagnosing problem with front wheels

Odysseus

Threads
You say in your post "the right front wheel drops down while the left front stays in place." so that should tell you there is something wrong with the right side, take off the right wheel and move the shaft and see if there is play in it before the left side wheel moves up or down.

Thanks for your patience with me. Maybe some photos will be helpful:

Axle in the up position as seen from under deck
Axle in place .jpg

Axle "dropped down" as seen from under deck
Axle dropped down.jpg

Axle "dropped down" as seen from outside deck
Axle dropped down seen from outside deck.jpg

Closeup of axle "dropped down" as seen from outside deck
closeup Axle dropped down as viewed from outside housing .jpg

I hope this might clarify what I have been trying to explain

Odysseus

Threads
It has finally dawned on me to look at what holds the left front wheel in place and it appears to me that it is part #9 in the parts diagram, and what is missing from the right front would be the same part on that side.

I am unsure whether part #10 is the part which keeps part #9 from sliding down the axle and out of place. Any experience or conclusions to bear on this?

Just for what it is worth, that "hole" that the right side of the axle rests in looks like it was made with a can opener!

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
From your photo you can see clearly that the hole is worn out, it should be a round and part number 9 bush and the pin that holds it is missing, only thing you can do is rivet a plate across the hole under the axle to stop the axle from coming down. photo shows the type of thing to do.

Attachments

• Axle dropped down copy.jpg
    Axle dropped down copy.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 5

Odysseus

Threads
I think that even I can manage that!

Many thanks for your patience and guidance. Us noobies need folks like you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From your photo you can see clearly that the hole is worn out, it should be a round and part number 9 bush and the pin that holds it is missing, only thing you can do is rivet a plate across the hole under the axle to stop the axle from coming down. photo shows the type of thing to do.

Don't know what is available in the USa or UK but down here all of the local branded push mowers have axel rebuild kits which have a shim to go in the flogged out hole, a new axel bush and retainer clip.
https://www.gaspares.com.au/products/CHD5244?q=&product_code=CHD5244&per_page=48&product_page=1&search%5Bcategory_url%5D=%2F_fits_brands%2Frover%2F_product_types%2Faxlesp
https://www.gaspares.com.au/products/CHD5221?q=victa&product_code=CHD5221&per_page=48&product_page=1&search%5Bcategory_url%5D=%2F_product_types%2Faxlesp
https://www.gaspares.com.au/products/CHD5405?q=honda&product_code=CHD5405&per_page=48&product_page=1&search%5Bcategory_url%5D=%2F_product_types%2Faxlesp

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Or buy a rebuild kit and work out how to fit it...! good point bertsmobile1

Yes , Am yet to see any 2 fitted the same.
What I was told was to slip the shim into the slot.
bend the outside tabs back flat against the mower deck, ( yeah really ) leaving the inside ones to provide extra support .
install the new bush then find the W clip wont fit :confused2:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Has its a push mower and not a space rocket a small plate with pop rivets or self tapping screws will do the job..!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok, so you need at least 2 parts. Number 9 and 10. They kind of hold the axel in place in the hole.
toro.jpg
Now you also need a bolt to attach the part in this picture to the deck. It will pivot on this bolt so it may need to be a shoulder bolt. I circled the 2 holes that need to be together with the bolt through them. Remember that this bolt can not be so tight that it will not allow movement. Check the other side to see what it is held on with.
toro 2.jpg