Cub cadet 365 spindel replacement

Catmanmcatee

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am trying to find a replacement spindel for my 54” deck. Part number 603-0690, all the sites say it is discontinued. Does anyone know another part number for a spindel that i can use?

Jim

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the spindle case its self is still good you can purchase all the internal part of it to fix it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you would give us the full model and serial number of your unit, we may be able to find your a replacement. Just giving us a part number doesn’t give us much to go on. Too many variables to give you an accurate reply.

Catmanmcatee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the advise. Messicks were able to find me a replacement spindle assembly, pricey, but gotta have it. Old spindle has a crack in the case, it would take a very good welder to fix it.

Hard to believe how hard it is to find replacement spindle's for this deck. My next question? Where/what deck's will fit this mower, if I was to replace the whole deck in the future.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The current MTD deck will fit with a little adjustment to the mounting centeres.

I had to buy some of these spindles 2 years ago and warned the forum that they had been discontinued so if you have one you should stock up and got poo pooed on from a great height.
According to the flag waving patriots America is so great the parts will always be available.
Funny enough those people never bothered to post on this thread.

MTD adopted the quick change Cub deck system almost the first day after they took them over.
And a good thing it was too..
Your deck is something better than 20 years old.
Do not throw the old housing out, they are easier to repair than you think.

We had a fab shop down here that was doing obsolete spindle housings in steel.
They are only a tube with a flange, a very simple operation for any boilermakers shop.
Keep those bearings nipped up & greased and that spindle will do tens of thousands of hours.
Both Rotary & Oregon do replacement shafts and nuts.

Dave17003

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the spindle case its self is still good you can purchase all the internal part of it to fix it.

I purchased the internals - Looks great spins great but as soon as I tightened the blade bold just past finger tight it stops spinning :(

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That should be a tapered roller bearing set up
So either the outer races are not fully home or the spacer between the two inner races is missing or too short.
Thus when you tighten the nut the inners wedge down onto the shaft & lock it in place.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Like Bert said, you may not have set the bearing in down to the seat. On most spindles the bearing on the blade side is seated when it is about an 1/8” below the spindle edge.

Dave17003

Forum Newbie
Threads
That should be a tapered roller bearing set up
So either the outer races are not fully home or the spacer between the two inner races is missing or too short.
Thus when you tighten the nut the inners wedge down onto the shaft & lock it in place.
So I paid a guy to look at it. He sent me to a store to get the spacer, sleve and seal. he put it back together it cost me 70.00 total but the seals were too small so i got new seals but i didn't see any spacers... Would a cub cadet dealer have the spacers?