a few probs with starting & barckfiring like noise

GeneJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
B&S 23hp intek ES OHV - 250 hrs on it
I have a variety of probs. 1st one the 1st start of the day (cold engine not cold weather), it acts like the battery is low or dead. Use jump box & charger & time to get it turned over once, then wait a few, it turns ever twice, etc. after a while I get it spinning & it starts. I've checked battery, ground connection(jumped the ground all the way to the starter). solenoid, etc. Starts great after that initial warm up. So let me go on.
After the first start, It spits out a little white smoke through the exhaust & some blackish, water like liquid from muffler. maybe like a teaspoon full, then no smoke at all.
After an oil change 2 weeks ago, Its been starting to leak a little. Last night I found a very loose oil filter.
Also, seems like after that oil change, I noticed a "backfiring" like sound or sputter coming while the engine runs at only at low speed Now this has progressed to while running at high speed.
I had carb rebuilt with a kit at end of last season.
I'm confused now. Anybody got ideas? Thanks

Last edited:

Luffydog

Threads
Hard to start possibly valves need to be adjusted or worse the camshaft acr is bad. Oil leak prob sump gasket if it wasn't oil filter. Smoke could be a head gasket or gas in the oil. Adjust the valves. To see if it cures hard to start. Then do a leakdown test to check for head issues. If it's camshaft and oil leak wasn't the oil filter then when doing cam you'll fix that when doing then cam with a gasket. Need engines numbers. Model ----- type ---- code -- for proper look up and diagnose the issues.

GeneJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Luffy,
Model 44K777
Type: 0119 E1
Code; 070417YG

Luffydog

Threads
I don't see an acr on the camshaft for this model. I would check the valves at this point and make adjustments. Cam still could be worn. Take starter off and check to see if it is worn as well. Do a compression check on the cyclinders to see if anything is lacking there then move on to leakdown test to check for other things

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Too much oil, a blown head gasket, fuel in the oil, bad rings, valve settings out, carb flooding......just a few.

Threads
Luffy Dog most diagrams won't show a Comp release on a cam... Only a blow up of a cam in detail will.... He has for sure..

Gene yes your valves are the prime suspect in this issue and one of you head gaskets might be bad..... Bad gasket = backfire and spitting out the muffler......

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I don't see an acr on the camshaft for this model. I would check the valves at this point and make adjustments. Cam still could be worn. Take starter off and check to see if it is worn as well. Do a compression check on the cyclinders to see if anything is lacking there then move on to leakdown test to check for other things

And forget about a compression test they are useless on small engines with decompressors.

Luffydog

Threads
It will tell you that they are not equal and what side to start your trouble shoot on. Very useful tool and have to disagree on that.

GeneJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks everybody,
I'll start w/ adjusting the valves next week.

Luffydog

Threads
Keep us posted