2HP dies after choke opened

Maynard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have 1977 BS 60102-0301 2HP on an edger. Just refreshed with new gaskets, valve adjustment, new air cleaner, new plug and electronic ignition coil. Engine starts and runs fine when choked, but after taking off choke, the engine dies almost immediately. I've checked all the ports on the carb, needle valve is OK, no dirt or debris anywhere. I'm out of ideas and was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the subject.

Thanks

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you open the choke you are having too much air too fuel, did you adjust the carb.

"The fuel pipe contains a check ball and a fine mesh screen. To function properly, the screen must be clean and the check ball free,"

Threads
The carb needs to come off and everything taken off and out... The needle and the seat also.... Soaked in a bath of cleaner or chem dip for a few hours......

You have a clog in there somewhere.........

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This engine has a vacu-jet carb, which means no needle and seat. If the check ball is working properly and the screen is clean, I would check for an air leak between the carb and the tank or carb and block. Have you tried adjusting the mixture screw on the side of the carb?

Threads
Rivets what I mean't was the Needle valve and needle seat....... Not like a needle and seat in a 6 HP Briggs that are common nowadays..

Thanks for the partial correction........

Maynard look at this site and look at the diagram numbers 118 and 147........ You will see what I was speaking of... They are called a needle valve and a needle valve seat.....

www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-par...0100-to-060199/060102-0301-99/carburetor-assy

Sorry for the typos in my first post...... I am restoring one of these right now........ Great little engines and are almost bullet proof......

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The needle you are referring to is the mixture screw I’m talking about. I have never replaced that seat in all my years. Also, I was mistaken, there is no check ball on this carb.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Engine number 60102 has a Vacu-jet the fuel pipe part number 296476 has a check valve....

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 4