Briggs and Stratton 17.5 hp.

MILITARIA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Was cutting good. All of a sudden smoked white smoke and mis fired a bit. Then it started running fine then when turn around started smoking again bad. Then it quit and run fine for a little while then start with the smoke again. I was on flat ground, no hills. I checked oil and it was way low. I notice lot of oil at bottom of engine and on to frame. What's happening? Motor is new.

Threads
If it's new you need to bring it in for Warranty work......... My best advice ~!~!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't understand WHY, you didn't stop and try to find the cause of the smoke ..?? Surely you knew THAT wasn't NORMAL operation, Did you check the oil BEFORE your mowing day began ..?? .. From what you describe about oil everywhere, Check for hole in engine, that engine may have come "UN-glued" ..:confused2:

MILITARIA

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't understand WHY, you didn't stop and try to find the cause of the smoke ..?? Surely you knew THAT wasn't NORMAL operation, Did you check the oil BEFORE your mowing day began ..?? .. From what you describe about oil everywhere, Check for hole in engine, that engine may have come "UN-glued" ..:confused2:

Well it didn't unglue. Does anyone know if this engine has a pcv plate? For some unknown reason she will cut like crazy and if you turn or hit a hole (bump) it will act like oil gets dumped in to cylinder. It started this all of a sudden. Up until then it has been no problem since I bought it used. It had a new engine on it and mower run and cut good. When it acts up it is all of a sudden, then it runs fine.

MILITARIA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found what it was. When I got it he had changed the oil. It started this right after I bought it with the wife cutting with it. It was last cutting of the year, so it just set until I had time to check it out . We only cut a small side yard with it because I can't get the 60 zero turn into the side yard. Where we keep it is on a slight tilt. When I check the oil, it showed to top mark. When I started it up she ran fine for about 5 minutes. When I engaged blade to cut she ran fine. When I turned around down hill she started smoking. So now, I go and check oil, she was about 2/3 of a quart high. (Level ground) I guess when I bought it she was setting on a tilt in his yard. She ran fine. Brought her home and rolled her off trailer with no problem. When wife went to cut, up hill was fine, down about half, she smoked. Drained out the oil and now she is fine. On by the way, she is an 18.5 hp, not a 17.5 hp. This one is on another mower.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
When checking the oil put it on level ground and its best when the engine is cold. ie before mowing..!