Need a mower, very small yard new or used

gihzmo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am looking to get a mower for our house we are getting ready to move into. The total land is .23 acres and My guess is I really only have about .15 to mow. I need something really basic, I would like to have the option to bag, my only need is it must mulch.

I was thinking about just getting a basic mower from Sears or Home Depot with a Briggs and Stratton engine. I considered something used, but I feel like I will just spend a lot of money. I would like to get something for less than 250 to 300 if I can. If I can get a basic self propelled for that, great, if not a push mower is fine.

Any suggestions? I know everyone hates the big box store mowers... but keep in mind how little I am mowing. If there is a better option out there that I can get for a decent price that would be great to look at.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it was me I would go for used and cheap. But I am a mechanic, a cheapskate, and do all my own repairs. Some people need new and only the best so it all depends on how you feel about it. I really don't see anything wrong with a box store mower and on top of that you start with a nice new mower which should last you for many years to come if taken care of.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With a yard that small I would go electric, corded or battery.
People next to mum subdivided and the new resident built an outdoor cooking / entertaining area in the middle of the yard, complete wit a power point.
They run a corded hover mower.
Mum loves it as it is nice & quiet

gihzmo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the responses. I guess I was trying to guage does it make sense to spend the same amount on a used mower or just a get a new big box mower given the I guess light duty I will need.

Also I had considered electric, I just don't really want to have to fuss with electric cable and the battery operated ones are more expensive to get one that is even decent.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless you have a lot of obstacles to mow around, the chord is not a problem and you will get used to it very quickly.
In most cases you will have the electric out and grass mowed before the petrol mower has started.
Also running a petrol mower for less then 1/2 hour regularly is not good for the mower engine.
Two strokes will do it happlly but 4 stroke oil will barely get up to temperature for long enough to drive off the moisture accumulated in the oil.
Add to that regular maintenance and the electric will have you streets ahead in both time & money.
I don't know why you would want to bag , unless you have a lot of dropping leaves but if you can live without bagging, hover style mowers are really good in small yards, particulary if you have a lot of paths & edges to mow over.

As to what to buy from where, stick to brands you know.
Ignore house brands and supermarket cheapies.
Ignore plastic decks.
Try to find one without all sorts of "safety features" like blade brakes, or fixed throttles.
Good luck.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A different way to look at it. How long do you plan on using this mower? What will your cost be for the life of the mower? Ex. Electric mower, initial cost &400, batteries last 3-5 years and cost $100+, mower life about 10 years. Cost per year about $60. Cheap mower. Initial cost $300, mower life about 7 years, maintainance if you do your own $25 per year. Cost per year about $67 per year. Quality mower, initial cost $500, mower life about 15 years, maintainance if you do your own $25 per year. Cost per year about $58 per year. These are all approximations, depending on your local and ability. To many people look at initial cost only and I can’t guess how many times I’ve seen money thrown away on cheap $1.98 mowers. What ever you do, do you homework and think farther down the road. I always try to tell customers to buy the best mower you can afford, which best meets your needs 10 years from now. Just my opinion.