Kawasaki fx691v hole in block

junkman108

Threads
Hey i have a 691v-cs13-r in a hydro walk behind. Something happened that made a hole in the block just below connecting rod cap. cap still has two bolts in it so im thinking maybe the rod broke . The engine has oil in it. 2100 hours on the meter. anyway is it worth rebuilding this engine? I have a good kohler 22hp command on a shelf. What do you pros say??IMG_0231 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0231 (1).jpg
    IMG_0231 (1).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 23

Lawn Addict
Threads
(not a Pro, just my opinion)

You could probably get a replacement "short block" for less that trying to rebuild. imo.

junkman108

Threads
im just wondering if its a **** motor.all this emission stuff on cars and small engine seems to reduce engine life. engine looks like it has aluminum rods. i dont know if thats good idea for workhorse machine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Down here Kawasaki engines are cheap ( they are trying to dominate the quality end of the market ) but parts are very expensive.
I can get a complete new engine for a few hundred more than a short block so by the time I add my labour charges the complete engine works out a lot cheaper to the customer.
Check your warranty if you bought it new.
Kawasaki are doing 3 year commercial and 5 year residential warranty down here.
I always offer the customer the old engine back and supply a quote for the parts most likely requiring replacement if they want to rebuild their engines but only 1 of 9 customers have bothered.
2000 hours is quite young most of mine that went were 5000 + hours , apart from the rocker supports, but they were due to slack dealers servicing.

junkman108

Threads
i read there is a probem with dropped valves and rocker arms and pedestals breaking off. any truth to that?? Here in the states it looks like i can get a short block for $1050 with gasket kit.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On some the rocker support is held in with one bolt and a locating pip cast into the head.
If that one bolt comes loose then the support rotates chopping off the pip .
After that the push rod & rocker parts company.
Best case is it just runs on one cylinder.
Worse case is the pushrod drops into the engine & gets chewed up taking out whatever it pleases .
Not sure if they have modified the head casting but of course you need a new head for starters.
When I get one in out of warrantee I will see if you can replace the pip with a pin or dowel of some sort.
Kawasaki took back the heads so I did not see them

junkman108

Threads
Thagh nks for the info. it has hole in the block right where the connecting rod cap is. the cap is still connected to crank and rotates on the crank . I wonder what put the hole in the case??? I've been working everyday so i didn't pull the engine yet.

junkman108

Threads
Beautiful destruction. I wonder if the valve broke off and did it, or the rod broke and smashed the valve???LOts of crap in the cooling fins but i don't know if that would cause the engine to blow up?? Rocker arm pips were fine. The hole was from the piston and cam chunks that got caught between the case and the rod cap. Maybe valve head broke off and previous owner kept using the mower until this happened?. The engine had oil in it. Newer Kawasaki engine must be junk. i heard the old ones are good. always liked kohler.

IMG_0250.jpgIMG_0251.jpgIMG_0255.jpgIMG_0257.jpg

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Beautiful destruction. I wonder if the valve broke off and did it, or the rod broke and smashed the valve???LOts of crap in the cooling fins but i don't know if that would cause the engine to blow up?? Rocker arm pips were fine. The hole was from the piston and cam chunks that got caught between the case and the rod cap. Maybe valve head broke off and previous owner kept using the mower until this happened?. The engine had oil in it. Newer Kawasaki engine must be junk. i heard the old ones are good. always liked kohler.

View attachment 37021View attachment 37022View attachment 37023View attachment 37024

OOOooooohh...OWWWWWwwww...OHHhhhhhh...OOOOOooo... OWWWWWW...OWW...:mur:... OH SCHITT !!!! ..:thumbdown:..:confused3:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

View attachment 37021View attachment 37022View attachment 37023View attachment 37024

That is the sort of things that happen when you do not remove the blower housing and clean the cooling fins.
The head overheats , valves get stuck and some thing has to give.

As for quality. you get what you pay for.
People will not pay for quality so the engine builders build them down to the price that the "market will accept".
Honda pulled out because they would have to trash their brand building motors at the price the mower companies were willing to pay.Kawasaki stepped in to take up the premium engine end of the market.