Craftsman 24Hsp Commercial Mower does "nothing"

Flex69

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here's my story. I purchased a new Craftsman mower 9 years ago and hardly used it and it has ware from the Texas sun from sitting outdoors. Most days covered. Anyways, I decided to take it out to see If it would run. When I try Turn the key nothing happens. No click ... No noise whatsoever.
Battery 6 years old still had 12 VDC on it but I hooked up my charger directly to the mower and still nothing
Took solenoid out and hooked up to charger and the coil hums. It does not click as if it's opening and closing ... Us to hums
I found ONE fuse near the battery and solenoid and it was good. No idea if I have others or where they could be
I then hooked the negative cable from the battery and the other to the top of the starter bypassing the ground wiring go and still nothing.

I'm certain I need a new battery and new solenoid but what can my issue be?

Thanks

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELL the FIRST thing I would do is check the oil, be sure it's at LEAST to the ADD mark, next I would remove the engine shroud, (check for "mouse-nests) ..and the spark-plug(s), then try turning the flywheel, IF you CAN'T turn it, the engine may be "SEIZED" get a flash-light and look into the spark plug hole for water-rust, whatever. if that's the case you probably have an O/H in front of you, if it does rotate, you MIGHT have something to work with.. (what kind of shape is the rest of the machine in ..?? is the deck rusted away.. you may have a "MONEY-PIT" sittin there... in any case, you will most likely have to O/H the carb. or replace it, super-clean the gas-tank and ENTIRE fuel system, ( new hoses, filter, shut-off valve) , the starter may be "froze" ( later about that) change oil & filter (if equipped with one) check ALL WIRING, you may have "fed the critters" , plenty of testing to do...... BUT let's NOT get ahead of ourselves here... do the few things I first suggested then post back your results, ADD a few pics if possible, AND hopefully ?? you can find the machines labels (look under the seat and all over the engine, we really could use the numbers to "see" what we are working on ... SEE EXAMPLES

GET INFO.JPG.....ID 4.PNG

hrdman2luv

Threads
A battery can have 12v and almost no cranking amps, if im not mistaken.

I'm sure it's not recommended my most people here, but I do it all this all the time (after I've rotated the engine by hand to make sure it's not froze up.)
Turn the key on. Take a pair of jumper cables and attach the one end of one cable to the positive on the battery. Then just touch the other end of that same cable to starter, where the red wire connects. That will tell you if your battery has no cranking amp. And if it does, then it'll tell you if you starter is good.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A battery can have 12v and almost no cranking amps, if im not mistaken.

I'm sure it's not recommended my most people here, but I do it all this all the time (after I've rotated the engine by hand to make sure it's not froze up.)
Turn the key on. Take a pair of jumper cables and attach the one end of one cable to the positive on the battery. Then just touch the other end of that same cable to starter, where the red wire connects. That will tell you if your battery has no cranking amp. And if it does, then it'll tell you if you starter is good.

Never liked doing it that way.
Always better to make the last connection at the battery.
Way too easy to touch the jumper to the body of the starter and make a direct short.