17 HP Briggs valve problems

ekywildcat

Threads
I looked up the price of a new cam, around $70 on Amazon includes lifters too. Cheaper than I figured. What was interesting though, in the picture, when you browse over it and enlarge the picture, the lobes are installed on the shaft on splines! I guess that is what Tinkerer meant when he said it was made in segments. I'd say that's my problem, splines are worn throwing off the timing or lobes just wore out.

I found some used engines for $100-$150, may go that route if I can hear them run. Question, some of the engines had a different shaped blower housing, are any of the OHV Briggs in the 14-17 hp range better than another? TIA.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The blower housing are different shapes because they have used 3 different air filters. The oldest is the oval cartridge type filter, then they went to a oblong suitcase looking filter, and the newest is the round tube shaped cartridge filter.

stretch5881

Threads
I looked up the price of a new cam, around $70 on Amazon includes lifters too. Cheaper than I figured. What was interesting though, in the picture, when you browse over it and enlarge the picture, the lobes are installed on the shaft on splines! I guess that is what Tinkerer meant when he said it was made in segments. I'd say that's my problem, splines are worn throwing off the timing or lobes just wore out.

There are more parts to it than that. Just under the gear is the compression release. It is 3 parts. A pin, a spring and a flyweight. The flyweight often scatters.
I don't know if this is your issue though. If the compression release scattered, then the engine would act like a dead spot in the starter and be difficult to turn over.

ekywildcat

Threads
There are more parts to it than that. Just under the gear is the compression release. It is 3 parts. A pin, a spring and a flyweight. The flyweight often scatters.
I don't know if this is your issue though. If the compression release scattered, then the engine would act like a dead spot in the starter and be difficult to turn over.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, good info. I'd read about the compression release, just didn't know where and what parts were involved. And the engine is very hard to turn, when it hits the hard spot, the starter will barely get it past it.

I'm pretty certain the cam is junk, best I could check it yesterday, there's about .030 difference between the intake and exhaust lift. Thanks again, probably going the engine swap route. My brother has a 11 hp Briggs flatty that runs great, looks to be an easy swap, exhaust will take a little work, but it's free, and my grass needs mowed!!!

ekywildcat

Threads
The blower housing are different shapes because they have used 3 different air filters. The oldest is the oval cartridge type filter, then they went to a oblong suitcase looking filter, and the newest is the round tube shaped cartridge filter.

OK. Appreciate the info.

:thumbsup:

stretch5881

Threads
You could put the 11 horse on but it won't have the power of the 17. If you look up the part number of the cam, you could get a used one on Ebay for around 15.00. Add a new base gasket and crank seal and you are back in business.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless you like to mow with the wind blowing through your hair or in the rain, then the difference in the Hp will not make much difference.
Hydros gobble up a silly amount of power but I can mow down 4' of rough growth on the side of the road quite happily with an old 8/24 or 10/32.

Lawn care professionals do not have a choice, but home owners do.
If you restrict your mowing to the 4 hours prior to sunset the 11 Hp will do you fine and it will be quicker than rebuilding the old engine so if your early spring it really good, the grass will not get away from you.
Then rebuild the old engine at your leisure.
Or if you are like me, pop it on the bench, cover it with a dust cloth then forget it till it is too late.