GT 2254 starter

Regwal

Threads
My GT2254 tractor began cranking slow last fall. When engaging, the starter would hesitate a few seconds before cranking engine. I assumed the battery was getting bad because of it's age. I began yesterday getting ready for plowing garden and had to charge battery but it would only go to 76%. Purchased a new battery and installed but ran into the same problem with hesitation while cranking.

I checked voltage across the solenoid and all checked 12.7v. Starter was removed and checked on bench with power source. Starter ran with no load on it at a pretty good clip. I then connected the start system to the battery without starter installed on engine. It ran slow and after a few would not run when start switch was energized. Voltage was 11.9v and starter not running.

What are your thoughts before purchasing a new starter? Did my checks indicate a bad starter or am I missing something?:mad:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your test indicated a wiring problem. Check the ground. Remove from the connection at the frame. Scruff it up and reattach. Then test again. Voltage is also too low. Charge battery. Loose ground could cause this.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
IF, your running a Briggs engine, try adjusting the valves ........

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the plug (s) and try again.
If it spins strait away then you have a problem with the valve lash or starter itself

If it makes not difference jump the starter directly from the battery,
Hook the + up first cause the big flash when the circuit closes causes people to jerk then put the jumper against the starter body.
I usually hook the ground to the drain plug.

If it still hesitates then the starter needs attention.
If it spins right up then as per the first response, time to get the wire brush out on all of the leads and check the engine mounting bolts are tight.

On a couple of reluctant starters I ended up running a ground lead directly to one of the engine mounting bolts.
Still did not end the problem but did reduce it to a tollerable level.

Regwal

Threads
Your test indicated a wiring problem. Check the ground. Remove from the connection at the frame. Scruff it up and reattach. Then test again. Voltage is also too low. Charge battery. Loose ground could cause this.

It was a ground problem. Ground to frame was very tight so figured all was good. Nope! ran ground from starter to battery and all is good. Someday I'll clean original ground and remove temporary ground from starter. Very hard to reach to fix correctly today.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I regularly fit an auxillary ground cable from the battery ground to an engine bolt.
Clean the area up with a dremel or similar , wire brush then sanding disc.
When finished, paint liberally with liquid electrical tape you can then forget bad grounds.