Trouble with starting a Troy-Bilt Pony

SouthpawScientist

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troy-Bilt Pony riding lawnmower with at 15.5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine. Model is 13WM77KS011. It was manufactured in 2014. I bought it somewhere near the end of the season in 2015. Near the end of the summer of 2017, I was using it (and it was working just fine), shut it down for a moment to clear an obstruction in my path, then it would not start again. Wouldn't even turn over. I tried a new battery but that didn't help. I tried to get it started by shorting the solenoid with the key set to on and that let the engine turn over. So, I bought a new solenoid and installed it. Turned the key and nothing. Not even a click from the starter. Shorted that new solenoid and the mower started right up. I was able to run it to cut the yard today but I need to solve this. Any ideas? I proved today that my battery, wiring, and starter were good. Where to look next? I know from owning an older Ford Mustang that it actually is possible to get a bad solenoid brand new but highly unlikely.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Test the solenoid by running a short jumper from the hot terminal to the small + trigger terminal at the base of the solenoid .
If there are 2 small terminals at the base, one is +12 V the other is ground, does not matter which way it goes.
If that checks out the follow the + trigger wire back up the loom.
Start circuit goes Battery + > solenoid > fuse > B terminal on ignition switch > S terminal on ignition switch > PTO Switch > brake switch > trigger terminal on solenoid.

Somewhere that chain is broken