Best Guess?

LarryJohnson

Threads
The B&S V-twin that I brought back to life last year and used all summer is acting up. I sounds like someone is killing a cat when the key is turned. I used it once this year and started it sunday, but I had to turn the engine by hand a couple of time in order to get the starter to spin it. Seemed like there was a dead spot where the starter wouldn't crank it over. Is this the sound a weak mower battery makes?. It's not your typical, click, click click, like a weak car battery. Battery was in the house the last half of winter.

Won't be able to look at it until this weekend. Just wanted some ideas to kick around. Is another valve job needed? Thanks.

Last year, did the following to get it running and maintenance; valve job (my first), new starter, starter solenoid, wiring harness, battery, plugs, air filter, oil, oil filter, gas.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Adjust the valve lash.
They have opened iot so far they have defeated the decompression.
The sound you heard was you killing your starter motor

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
YEP sounds to me like a valve adjustment is in order, as far as the "cat" goes' pull the engine shroud and check for debris and clean the "fins" while it's open, does the squeel go away after it's running ?? If not, check for debris around the "stack-pulley", is the drive belt in good shape and fitting in the pulley correctly ?? check to see if the belt "keepers" for the "stack-pulley" aren't rubbing on the pulley also... I would also check all the battery cables, ( both ends ) and check the solenoid for a GOOD ground connection to the body (frame) Keep us posted ....

LarryJohnson

Threads
Adjust the valve lash.

Thanks. That makes sense now because another symptom was that it didn't want to shut off with the key.
I'll watch that valve adjustment video again.

LarryJohnson

Threads
Adjust the valve lash.

Got it running, but not properly. There's still a "dead spot" where the motor won't turn over when key is turned. If the engine is turned by hand to another position, it will fire. I probably didn't adjust the valves properly.

My procedure was as follows:
Turned engine so piston was at TDC, plus 1/4 inch. I interpreted this to mean to turn engine so piston starts going back down the cylinder by 1/4 inch after reaching tdc.
Adjusted both valves to .005 so gauge would just hang in valve while bolt was tightened.
Went to the other side, turned engine so other piston was at tdc, plus 1/4 inch.
adjusted both valves.

thoughts?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Right proceedure, if you were sure the engine was on the compression stroke.
The quick & dirty test is to pull the plug (s) if it cranks fine with no hesitations plug out the usually the valves are not right.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok this a funny video and at 33:44 or 45 into the video it shows some good Chit....... Ok Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

https://youtu.be/Pl5vNccJwQs

I always enjoy Taryl's video's, He is one hell of a funny guy and a pretty good Mech. also, I think he relates to the average HOME-OWNER better than most, as most home-owners don't have anywhere near the tools and equipment Taryl has so he gives it to you down & dirty BUT like he say's... it's NOT the space-shuttle either. ..:laughing:

Also I wanted others opinions ..... of his Valve-Adjustment procedure, .... fully closing 1 valve and adjusting the open 1 is how I was taught to do it at a major Lawn-Mower dealer/ repair shop by their lead mechanic many years ago, and I've NEVER had a problem with any of my engine's valve train components to this day. :thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

I think we are a little out of sync.
If a motor has difficulty cranking with the spark plugs in but cranks freely with the plugs out then that indicates that the valve lash is not correct or the inlet pushrod has fallen off the rocker.