Best Guess?

LarryJohnson

Threads
I think we are a little out of sync.
If a motor has difficulty cranking with the spark plugs in but cranks freely with the plugs out then that indicates that the valve lash is not correct or the inlet pushrod has fallen off the rocker.

That makes sense. I’ll try it tonight. I didn’t understand your last reply due to verbiage and typos. Thanks

LarryJohnson

Threads
I think we are a little out of sync.
If a motor has difficulty cranking with the spark plugs in but cranks freely with the plugs out then that indicates that the valve lash is not correct or the inlet pushrod has fallen off the rocker.

She turns great with the plugs removed. It will turn over and start woth several attempts. Must have too much compression. To reduce compression, should I add gap or subtract gap between the valves. I mowed the lawn today, so I'm guessing that eliminates the pushrod possibility.

Threads
The valves might not be right..... Did you see the video I posted for you ??

Also you could be running on 1 cylinder... Take some insulated pliers while it's running and pull 1 plug wire and keep it well away from the plug......... If it slows down a lil you good on that one......

Put the wire back on and then take the other one off......... If it does the same thing as the 1st one then you are good to go as far running on both cylinders.

If it kills the engine when you pull one of them off then you only have 1 side running ~!~!

LarryJohnson

Threads
The valves might not be right..... Did you see the video I posted for you ??

Also you could be running on 1 cylinder... Take some insulated pliers while it's running and pull 1 plug wire and keep it well away from the plug......... If it slows down a lil you good on that one......

Put the wire back on and then take the other one off......... If it does the same thing as the 1st one then you are good to go as far running on both cylinders.

If it kills the engine when you pull one of them off then you only have 1 side running ~!~!

Started to watch the video but saw that goofy get-up and intro, so thought it was just going to be a joke, then I saw it was 35+ minutes long, so I declined. Just watched the parts about setting the valves. Didn't really learn anything I didn't already know. He didn't ensure the engine was at top dead center. My engine's manual says to set valvles when piston is at tdc + 1/4".

While I was setting the valves, both my the pistons moved when within the cylinder. Doesn't that confirm that the rods aren't detached.

Threads
Your rods are good if your pistons are moving..... Taryl has been doing engines for 40 years... We or some of us on this forum set valves like in the video. The 1/4 in past TDC is to make sure that the Compression release is gonna act right when starting the engine...

Do the spark plugs and let us know ~!~!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
RE-read posts # 7 AND 9 ...... follow what's stated and you'll be OK ! .. :thumbsup:

READ THE MANUAL (Small).jpg

Threads
Speaking of CAMS and adjusting here is a new one Taryl came out with today............

At 10;22 he starts to explain why we adjust the valves the way we do.... He also shows the right way to set the governor..

The whole video is informative............

https://youtu.be/fmbwImeiqaE

Last edited:

LarryJohnson

Threads
... The 1/4 in past TDC is to make sure that the Compression release is gonna act right when starting the engine...

Do the spark plugs and let us know ~!~!

Good info. thanks.
I've been going hard all weekend. Just removed the left spindle. Need a new one. I might get to the plug test tomorrow or tuesday.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Speaking of CAMS and adjusting here is a new one Taryl came out with today............

At 10;22 he starts to explain why we adjust the valves the way we do.... He also shows the right way to set the governor..

The whole video is informative............

NO link ...?????