Honda GXV120 serial number location

slow_runner

Threads
Honda GXV120 engine build number location

Today I attempted to find the engine build numbers on my two spare GXV120 motors.
I checked out the Honda handbook and saw the location indicated.
So, outside to the shed and dragged out the Swift with the Honda. I removed the cover and looked about, then off came the fuel tank. Nothing.

Can anyone help me out here; where is the engine number located? Or have I missed the bleeding obvious?:biggrin:

edit: title description

Last edited:

wdwalsh56

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Honda GXV120 engine build number location

Today I attempted to find the engine build numbers on my two spare GXV120 motors.
I checked out the Honda handbook and saw the location indicated.
So, outside to the shed and dragged out the Swift with the Honda. I removed the cover and looked about, then off came the fuel tank. Nothing.

Can anyone help me out here; where is the engine number located? Or have I missed the bleeding obvious?:biggrin:

edit: title description

Different location for my GCV190, but it is installed with small indentations. Might try something to highlight that area with a black agent to look for these as i had to look real hard to find on my engine, and I was looking right at the spot my manual said to see.

slow_runner

Threads
Re: Honda GXV120 engine build number location

Different location for my GCV190, but it is installed with small indentations. Might try something to highlight that area with a black agent to look for these as i had to look real hard to find on my engine, and I was looking right at the spot my manual said to see.
Hello wdwalsh56, thanks.
I took a few images with my phone and zoomed in on them to find a number to the right of the fuel tank. It is very faint.
I'll take your advice and highlight it, then take a clean shot of it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Up te contrast on the photos or invert the colours ( make negative ) and usually they will jump right off the screen at you.

slow_runner

Threads
Up te contrast on the photos or invert the colours ( make negative ) and usually they will jump right off the screen at you.
Good onya Bert, I'll try that when I can find the blardy images. I filed them :rolleyes:

slow_runner

Threads
After using the zoom function and the optivisor, I found this number behind and to the right of the fuel tank.
I assume it is the engine number??
This particular GXV is mounted on a slightly battered Australian SupaSwift.
Bert, you would be familiar with the SupaSwift, yes?
It was given to me years ago by Darren as rebuilt, but a smoker. It has sat in my open lean-to for a long time yet still feels good on the pull chord and has spark.
When I disconnected the fuel tank and set it to one side I found what appeared to be oil on the chassis.
I wiped that up with a rag to find it was reddish; auto trans fluid it seems. Strange...
Darren owned a brake shop and I am guessing here but it would appear that a disgruntled employee had nobbled the motor by adding ATF into the fuel tank. Now, all that time later the fuel has evaporated, leaving the ATF behind. Plausable??
Darren certainly would not have done this himself:rolleyes:

View attachment 36989SupaSwift mower with GXV120 engine # A.jpg