Walk behind HRT216 SDA Transmission Tension Spring - Replacing

NoMoMowin

Threads
  • / HRT216 SDA Transmission Tension Spring - Replacing
I just replaced the transmission of my HRT216 SDA. The "hard parts" were easy, but when I got to the final steps, I could not for anything figure out where the transmission tension spring re-attaches (I'm referring to the coil spring with hooks on either end, not the one which fits over the bolt). I searched online, and most videos referenced removal and re-installation of this component when replacing the transmission on many different models, but provided little detail. As careful as I was when removing the small drive-train parts, I must have thought that the spring placement was so obvious as to require no thought. One end hooks to the transmission assembly and the other, I thought, somewhere on the rear of the deck. It's part of what holds the transmission back when under power. I was mistaken about the connection points being so obvious. To be fair, I did remove the pulley and wheel drive gears over a year ago to reduce weight so pushing it would be easier, so it's been some time...But, after looking and trying different possibilities, I finally decided to close it up and see what happened. And it WORKS! So, I've got a working transmission and an "uh-oh" extra part. Even though it's working, I'm still annoyed that I've got what appears to be an important but uninstalled component staring at me!

Can ANYONE give me some guidance? Pictures/videos would be nice. I've GOT the shop manual, but it is useless for this.

Many thanks.

goryo62

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just replaced the transmission of my HRT216 SDA. The "hard parts" were easy, but when I got to the final steps, I could not for anything figure out where the transmission tension spring re-attaches (I'm referring to the coil spring with hooks on either end, not the one which fits over the bolt). I searched online, and most videos referenced removal and re-installation of this component when replacing the transmission on many different models, but provided little detail. As careful as I was when removing the small drive-train parts, I must have thought that the spring placement was so obvious as to require no thought. One end hooks to the transmission assembly and the other, I thought, somewhere on the rear of the deck. It's part of what holds the transmission back when under power. I was mistaken about the connection points being so obvious. To be fair, I did remove the pulley and wheel drive gears over a year ago to reduce weight so pushing it would be easier, so it's been some time...But, after looking and trying different possibilities, I finally decided to close it up and see what happened. And it WORKS! So, I've got a working transmission and an "uh-oh" extra part. Even though it's working, I'm still annoyed that I've got what appears to be an important but uninstalled component staring at me!

Can ANYONE give me some guidance? Pictures/videos would be nice. I've GOT the shop manual, but it is useless for this.

Many thanks.

Hi, have you found the answer to your question? My Honda HRR216 lawn mower broke two days ago and I'm trying to fix it now (ordered parts and waiting for delivery). I had the same question about the Transmission Tension Spring and this youtube video answered my question. Please check video at time code 14:00 (youtube.com/watch?v=RJvdn554q0A&t=394s). Forum will not allow me to post a link as I'm a new member.

Hope this helps.

NoMoMowin

Threads
Hi, have you found the answer to your question? My Honda HRR216 lawn mower broke two days ago and I'm trying to fix it now (ordered parts and waiting for delivery). I had the same question about the Transmission Tension Spring and this youtube video answered my question. Please check video at time code 14:00 (youtube.com/watch?v=RJvdn554q0A&t=394s). Forum will not allow me to post a link as I'm a new member.

Hope this helps.

The video was no help, as it was for a newer mower. HOWEVER, I did find a hold in the rear of the deck next to the wheel height adjustment, and it held the "L-shaped" end of the spring securely, and I was then able to slip the "U-shaped" end over the forward-most part of the transmission frame. It worked, though I'm still unsure if it's where it's supposed to be. I took it down yesterday for other reasons, and had to remove and re-install that spring in the process. It was where I'd originally placed it, so it seems secure. Wish I'd taken a couple of photos. Will when I next work on it, which will be soon as I'm replacing my clutch cable.