Repairs transaxle questions Troy-Bilt Wide Cut Mower 33 inch walk behind

Cfs

Threads
  • / transaxle questions Troy-Bilt Wide Cut Mower 33 inch walk behind
I was gifted a 1999-2000 Troy-Bilt 33 inch wide cut walk behind mower. It is a model 332342 8.5 HP Briggs with a recoil starter. I am hoping someone can help me with an issue that I am having with shifting gears. This unit has a Peerless Transaxle a part number/model 915-027 is assigned to it in the Parts List. Not sure if that is the Troy Bilt number for it or Peerless' Anyway when the engine is not running. I can shift through a 4 forward gears Neutral and Reverse. Once I have the engine started and put if in a forward gear it does not allow me to shift out of that gear. I understand the the mower is not to be moving when I try to shift...and it is not. But for some reason once I put it into 2nd or Reverse or any other gear, if the engine is running it will not allow me to shift. I have followed the instructions in the manual for adjusting neutral and it is in adjustment. I am not sure if I have a problem in the transaxle or in some other external adjustments to the brake or the drive belt etc. I have disconnected the long rod that connects to the shifter arm on the transaxle and manually set the unit into Neutral and adjusted the linkage...it will work fine with the engine not running, but once it is running the shifting problems begin.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Cfs

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The number you have is the Peerless number. Sounds to me like while the engine is running, the engagement lever is not releasing the belt. If the input pulley is spinning when you try to shift, it will be a no go.

Cfs

Threads
The number you have is the Peerless number. Sounds to me like while the engine is running, the engagement lever is not releasing the belt. If the input pulley is spinning when you try to shift, it will be a no go.

For what it is worth I found some Peerless info on line, that stated that if the transaxle shifts when the engine is not running and will not when it is running..the problem is not the transaxle. It has to be adjustments to the equipment

Cfs

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
that is correct, sounds like a brake / rod adjustment

Pete260

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a question regarding this transaxle a little off topic but Where is the grease discharge located?

I greased the transaxle up but noticed grease was coming out the seal area