Mz 52 starts without being in the seat

Golfnstanley

Forum Newbie
Threads
My husqvarna MZ 52 will now start without me being in the seat. I replaced the seat switch but didn’t fix the problem. What happened first was, I was cutting grass and it just quit. I then pushed back to shop and took out seat switch put it back in and it cranked without me being in the seat. So I fiquired it was bad and bought a new one. After putting new one in it still starts without me being in the seat. Any help is appreciated.

Stanley

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Both of my riding mowers will start without me being in the seat...always have.

NorthBama

Threads
mine also as long as the brake is set and pto switch is off.

Golfnstanley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Maybe mine has too and I didn’t realize it. What happened was when I was cutting it died. When I tried to restart it did nothing. Soi towed it back to shop and assumed seat switch is bad. Took it out and checked continuity and was good. Put it back in and it started. So I don’t know why it quit to begin with and don’t know why it did nothing when I attempted to restart. Now all is good after taking out seat switch and putting back in.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are setting the parking brake, the unit will start without anyone in the seat. If you don’t have the parking brake set and it starts, I would check to see if you have a buildup of debris closing the parking brake switch. Second see if this switch is moving in and out freely. It may be sticking in the IN position, bypassing the safety and allowing the unit to start.

Golfnstanley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Correct, it will not start with parking brake off. I thought it wouldn’t start without being in the seat but just didnt realize it would. Now I just don’t know why it died then wouldn’t do anything when I tried to restart. Now it’s working fine so it could be something intermittent.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Rule of thumb is if yo have all switches then they start without any one in the seat if the PTO is off and the Brake is on, some need to be in neutral.
If it has relays then usually some one needs to be in the seat to start which is a PIA when you are trying to service them or diagnose a starting fault.

Without trying to sound degrading, please read your owners manual.
If you can not understand it or have difficulty with it we will be more than happy to assist you.
I take great pride in the fact I have a functionally illeterate commercial customer who in the period of getting his repairs done by me has gone from running at a loss due to misuse of his tools to making a health profit because he could neither read nor understand the owners manuals so things had to be explained to him, a lovely bloke, good worker, just can't understand what he reads in English .

Golfnstanley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rule of thumb is if yo have all switches then they start without any one in the seat if the PTO is off and the Brake is on, some need to be in neutral.
If it has relays then usually some one needs to be in the seat to start which is a PIA when you are trying to service them or diagnose a starting fault.

Without trying to sound degrading, please read your owners manual.
If you can not understand it or have difficulty with it we will be more than happy to assist you.
I take great pride in the fact I have a functionally illeterate commercial customer who in the period of getting his repairs done by me has gone from running at a loss due to misuse of his tools to making a health profit because he could neither read nor understand the owners manuals so things had to be explained to him, a lovely bloke, good worker, just can't understand what he reads in English .

I have read the manual but just wasn’t thinking. I have never tried starting without being in the seat but have gotten off of it with it running to pick up debris in front of me. That was a brain freeze on my part. I’ve had the mower for three years and never had it to just die when cutting, then wouldn’t start, when trying to restart. Put ebrake on and pto off but wouldn’t do anything. Not sure if a switch may have been stuck is why it wouldn’t start. I associated everything with the seat switch because it started after removing and putting same switch back on. Anyway all is well now.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could have been the brake switch.

Edit: typo

Last edited: