Engine Tried to start big puff of smoke

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Update to everything you all have suggested! I found a great video on You Tube from Donyboy73 very informative seems like he knows his stuff makes me feel after checking for spark if it is a blown head gasket that it is something I can handle! I have an old IPad and it is hard to copy and paste or I would put up the link it seems it is his own channel! Thanks for all the help with a starting place! Probably will be a week or more before I get this done lots of hoops to jump thru to get to work on it! Need the parts, and a few tools! Somwish me luck! Have a Great Sunday!

Donny's stuff is really good.
Forget about cutting & pasting with the I pad.
Take photos with it.
Before you take any part off then the part then after you take it off.
Does not add much time to the job, but leaves you with a photomanual when you come to put it back together.

Note we have not made a positative diagnosis that it is a blown head gasket, it is just high on the list of criminals.

asiloj41

Threads
I have a craftsman 917.270532 14.5 OHV IC Gold was mowing yesterday and stop to refuel when I went to start it a big puff of smoke came from the front of engine compartment! Then after that it just turned over would not start! I realize it is 17 yrs old I also know it is time for a new one! But looking for idea's that might be able to fix it! Thinking it might be a quick fix! Thanks for any help!

Well well there is some really stupid things going on in my house! Just went to check the spark and the spark plug had blown out of the hole! How the He** does that happen! Put it back in and started! Still need to check that need head casket but that is for another day! Thanks everybody for a place to start! It takes a village ya know!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well well there is some really stupid things going on in my house! Just went to check the spark and the spark plug had blown out of the hole! How the He** does that happen! Put it back in and started! Still need to check that need head casket but that is for another day! Thanks everybody for a place to start! It takes a village ya know!

Sorry, you're not very clear on your comment, are you saying the SPARK-PLUG actually blew out of the cylinder head ?? or something different .. if it was the plug, I'm sure you must have more of a problem, like maybe the plug was installed with a Heli-Coil and it stripped out, or improperly installed ?? and you put it back in HOW ?? screwing it in, or just plopping it in the hole ?? makes no sense to ME ..?????

EDIT: this could have been the white smoke problem from the very "git-go"

asiloj41

Threads
Sorry, you're not very clear on your comment, are you saying the SPARK-PLUG actually blew out of the cylinder head ?? or something different .. if it was the plug, I'm sure you must have more of a problem, like maybe the plug was installed with a Heli-Coil and it stripped out, or improperly installed ?? and you put it back in HOW ?? screwing it in, or just plopping it in the hole ?? makes no sense to ME ..?????

EDIT: this could have been the white smoke problem from the very "git-go"

Yes it was the plug that blew out! It was hanging on inside the boot! It is funny it was a nice day here Kentucky and been using the mower all day! Then this happened I put it back in this morning next pretty day will try it out! Calling for rain/snow showers tonight! Don't you just love Kentucky weather!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Let us know next time you get SERIOUS about fixing YOUR mower, .... we can't do Jack-schitt about the weather !

asiloj41

Threads
Let us know next time you get SERIOUS about fixing YOUR mower, .... we can't do Jack-schitt about the weather !

No need to be nasty! I am a 55 yr old woman just trying to make a little humor out of a weird thing happening! So please do not answer anymore of my post! It is that easy!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
No need to be nasty! I am a 55 yr old woman just trying to make a little humor out of a weird thing happening! So please do not answer anymore of my post! It is that easy!

It sure as HELL is !

Luffydog

Threads
Where abouts are you at in the bluegrass? If you don't like the weather there wait 10mins it will change.