Just received Hustler Raptor SD with a potential problem

Gilitar

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Just received Hustler Raptor SD with a potential problem
Hello everyone! I just received a brand new Hustler Raptor SD 54 from Lowe's today and was doing a fluid check before cutting grass and noticed a potential issue. The hydro reservoir is WAY overfilled... I would say that it is over 3/4 full in fact. The store couldn't answer whether they topped it off or it came that way. I guess my concern is that the store poured any old thing in there when they saw that the container was "empty". I don't feel good about this right of the gate. What do you guys think? Also to top it off Hustler makes their customer service number very hard to come by. Was definitely not happy with that.

Attachments

• IMG_20180406_182117.jpg
    IMG_20180406_182117.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 42

Mr. Mower

Threads
I can fully understand your concern!

I also purchased my Raptor Flip Up through Lowe's and they delivered as well. But unlike your situation, everything was fine. I've had it since 2016.

Now what you are referring to is the mowers "Hydraulic Expansion Reserve Tank". This small tanks fluid level should be at the "Full Cold" line only and definitely not above that line. It should never be above that line. The FULL COLD LINE is located at the bottom of the tank.

The best time to check that should only be when the mowers engine is cold (or in other words the mower has not been on or running at all).

Now the only other time that this specific tank will show a fluid level above that line is when the mower is running or right after it had been shut down, of course the engine being hot, etc. But after a total cool down of the mower, that level should drop back down, either below or right at the Full Cold line.

With all that being stated. Double check your owners/user manual and read up about that. It may give you something a bit different but I doubt it.

It appears that you just might be between a rock and a hard place on this. First of all, I don't think Hustler would ship an mower with that tank full of fluid? But again I could be wrong about that.

Second, someone over at the Lowe's store that you purchased it from may unknowingly added fluid to that tank? But again, it's hard for someone to fess up about that. "IF" they did, lets hope that they used the correct fluid called for in the owners/user manual (which on mine calls to use SAE 20W50 service motor oil) and not Hydraulic or Automatic Transmission fluid. Because either of those fluids should never be used!

So if you just want to leave it and not deal with it your options are to either contact Lowe's or Hustler directly and explain the situation to them and see what progress'es out of that mess. Both are more than likely to lay fault at each other to get out of it.

But not all hope is lost!

What you can do is remove some of the fluid from the tank until it reaches right below the FULL COLD LINE.

To do this simply get one of those syringes that is used for basting turkeys, remove the tanks black top, insert the syringe and start removing the fluid, again until you reach the FULL COLD LINE.

Once done, then you can try out your new mower and give it a go.

The choice is yours on what you want to do, this is just my $0.02 on it all.

Oh and go back and read all about your mower before you actually start to use. It's helpful, also there should be a 1-800-# to call if you have any particular questions.

Good luck and I hope everything turns out well for you.

Keep us posted on the overall outcome on what happens.

Last edited:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wouldn't run it at all or do anything to it until you exhaust your options with Lowe's and/or Hustler.

Gilitar

Forum Newbie
Threads
I went ahead and notified the store and removed the excess fluid. It was in fact a thick oil so I really do believe that it was simply overfilled at the factory.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I once worked for Lowes and one of my nephews did as well. Let me tell you about putting things together. You barely have the tools to do the job let alone oil to add to a mower. Lowes did not add oil because the person that assembled it did not have any to add to it.

Mr. Mower

Threads
I once worked for Lowes and one of my nephews did as well. Let me tell you about putting things together. You barely have the tools to do the job let alone oil to add to a mower. Lowes did not add oil because the person that assembled it did not have any to add to it.

Makes sense coming from someone who worked there.

But if so then one of two things could have occurred at the factory.

One, either excessive amount of fluid was added?....or....Two, something in the mowers Hydraulic system is not functioning as it should allowing the fluid to fill up in the reserve tank?

Really any possibility?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Someone forgot to purge air or the new guy though fill with oil meant fill to the top. Or the pump that shuts off automatically at proper amount was not working right. Many things could have gone wrong. Quality control was not doing its job for sure.

Gilitar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Someone forgot to purge air or the new guy though fill with oil meant fill to the top. Or the pump that shuts off automatically at proper amount was not working right. Many things could have gone wrong. Quality control was not doing its job for sure.

If they forgot to purge wouldn't they simply purge themselves with use?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No the froth up and things get worse.
A bit late but I hope you kept the excess cause we missed a 3rd option,
Some idiot poured some crud in there in the shop cause he had a "thing" against the mower brand or Lowes.

Gilitar

Forum Newbie
Threads
No the froth up and things get worse.
A bit late but I hope you kept the excess cause we missed a 3rd option,
Some idiot poured some crud in there in the shop cause he had a "thing" against the mower brand or Lowes.

The oil would drain down to the hydros when sitting. There's nowhere else for it to go.