Just received Hustler Raptor SD with a potential problem

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Just received Hustler Raptor SD with a potential problem
Purging the hydros is part of the dealer set-up that should be performed in addition to making sure the tires are at proper pressure, the deck is leveled properly, that everything is adjusted properly and operates as it should. Again, this is why I always recommend buying equipment from a servicing dealer and not a big box store or remote dealer that just ships units.

Kremeneon

Threads
If you cover the hydro reservoir neck and pull a mild vacuum on it trapped air will be removed from the hydros and lines and burp up through the oil in the reservoir. Then when removing the vacuum the oil will be drawn in to replace where the air was. This would take 2 minutes to do at the factory or by a dealer. It is how I refilled my hydros on oil change after draining them via the filters, really saves having to try to get to those buried vent/fill bolts at the top of each 2800, it does take a few cycles to get all the oil in though.

See my original post HERE on the process.

Last edited:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Purging the hydros is part of the dealer set-up that should be performed in addition to making sure the tires are at proper pressure, the deck is leveled properly, that everything is adjusted properly and operates as it should. Again, this is why I always recommend buying equipment from a servicing dealer and not a big box store or remote dealer that just ships units.

That's why the mowers sold to Big Box stores are not quite the same as the ones you get at a dealer. The manufacturer knows the Big Box store has no service department for anything it sells, so they try to do as much of this servicing as they can at the factory before it goes in the shipping crate. They know Lowe's or any other Big Box doesn't have anybody trained in doing anything more than uncrating and airing up the tires.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Then why are they sending out machines with air in the hydros when their owner's manual says that it's critical for it to be purged? How does that only apply when you service them but not when they're new?

Brand new mowers are being sold and delivered to customers who may immediately over pressurize and overheat the hydros and damage them... great!

Kremeneon

Threads
Then why are they sending out machines with air in the hydros when their owner's manual says that it's critical for it to be purged? How does that only apply when you service them but not when they're new?

Brand new mowers are being sold and delivered to customers who may immediately over pressurize and overheat the hydros and damage them... great!

The "purge" specified in the manual (on jackstands, with tires off the ground) is to get air out and fluid into the hydro pump and motor part of the transmission. The part people are complaining about here is a little bubble of air at the top of the transmission case and air in the lines going to the overflow tank. That air is not in and will not go into the pump and motor. Maybe I'm a bit more relaxed because I'm a Mechanical Engineer and I've grown up around equipment, but this fluid level isn't a big deal. Just drive the mower and check the fluid level when the machine cools down, if it is below the line, add some. if you accidentally put too much in the tank will just burp it out the top the next time you mow and it will dribble into your yard. This thing functions just like the coolant overflow tank in your car.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok, good enough I guess. But other manufactures running the same/similar transmissions have a full system purge specified as part of the dealer setup...

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok, good enough I guess. But other manufactures running the same/similar transmissions have a full system purge specified as part of the dealer setup...

That's the point you're missing--Big Box stores are NOT dealers and don't do dealer setup.

The manufacturer, in this case, appears to be doing what it can to assure that fluid level in the Big Box store units will be as close to correct as possible when the owner uses the mower.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Point isn't missed. For the third time now...this is why you shouldn't buy things at big box stores! I've been to Home Depot once in the last 15 years...I desperately needed a drill bit after 8 pm. Anybody who does buy there and has a bad experience got what they deserve. :tongue:

mhavanti

Threads
Kilitar,

How is the Raptor doing so far?

Max

clubairth

Threads
Your dreaming if you think local dealers do anything special!!
I purchased my SD54 from a local dealer because of all the posts claiming you got better service.
I did not plus I was lied to about the machine needing the upgraded brace between the Hydro's.

Make SURE your machine has both of these braces installed!

Hydro Cross Braces-Labeled.jpg

I had the exact experience as posted above.
Fluid level was low and needed topping off after the first 2 or 3 mowing's.

Because of these complaints Hustler started to over fill the oil reservoir a bit so the level would come down to the proper level.
Mine stopped changing after I got the level right.