GT 275 will not start

KBL

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok I am handy but not on lawn tractors I have had this tractor for 10+ years bought it used. Now I went to my barn put in fresh gas with stabilizer added and started my tractor for the first time this spring. Ok all was good I was driving it and had the trailer hooked up and drove around picking up limbs and suck for about 20 to 25 minutes.
Now I was under loading the things out of the trailer and so I shutoff the tractor, and got back on in a few minutes and turned the key and nothing. So when I turn the key I get the usual dash lights but nothing else.
So far I have checked out the seat switch to make sure it was working, the battery has 13+ volts I can by pass everything and get the motor to turn over I and a friend probed the wiring and checked for continuity and for power at the ignition module panel and found what we thought was a faulty module as we could jump the power wires and get the motor to turn over. Replaced said module and still the engine will not turn over with just using the key.

So I am stumped.
Keasy

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have check all safety switches then check the start relay if it has one.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I don't have the JD technical manual for your mower.
However a check of the GT 225-245 manual shows these were complicated electrically with switches and relays.
Walking you through it on the web is not going to be easy so I very strongly suggest you go to the JD web site and buy a copy of the technical manual for your mower.
They are well worth the money and have simple step by step details of how to check each part and where it is hidden on the mower.
From what you are saying you have a problem with the cranking circuit.
The cranking circuit goes through the ignition switch, through the PTO switch , through the brake switch then through a relay then closing the starting solenoid to power the starter motor.
Jond Deer have the habit of changing the colur of the wires on either side of a switch so it makes tracing a circuit very difficult.
Without the manual I can not tell you which colour wire is which and if you accidentially cross a power wire with the magneto kill wire you kill the magneto $$$$$.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome: Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our John Deere section :smile:

mjb8fj

Threads
Ok I am handy but not on lawn tractors I have had this tractor for 10+ years bought it used. Now I went to my barn put in fresh gas with stabilizer added and started my tractor for the first time this spring. Ok all was good I was driving it and had the trailer hooked up and drove around picking up limbs and suck for about 20 to 25 minutes.
Now I was under loading the things out of the trailer and so I shutoff the tractor, and got back on in a few minutes and turned the key and nothing. So when I turn the key I get the usual dash lights but nothing else.
So far I have checked out the seat switch to make sure it was working, the battery has 13+ volts I can by pass everything and get the motor to turn over I and a friend probed the wiring and checked for continuity and for power at the ignition module panel and found what we thought was a faulty module as we could jump the power wires and get the motor to turn over. Replaced said module and still the engine will not turn over with just using the key.

So I am stumped.
Keasy

ill look on mine, but there is really only a few things to check. You got battery voltage, so thats good. Check the brake safety- the brake over rides the seat switch, which is why the machine stays running when your off it. (so the seat switch has nothing to do with anything when starting it). If the brake/neutral switch is ok, your left with the starter solenoid, or the key switch. The key switch is the one I believe has the circuit board attached so its impossible to describe to you here on how to check that. Hope that helps