slipping belts

ronkom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a Husky 2042LS riding mower. We deal w/fairly steep grades in our yard. Mower worked fine for many years....then the drive belt started slipping. I have replaced twice, 2nd time replacing the two idler pulleys (ones I took off looked fine), have tried belt dressing sprays. Worked for a couple mowing's-then the slipping returned. Did some research over the winter & bought two new belts. One from A&I Products #A-130969 Kevlar, it looks like what I'm taking off the mower. 2nd one is a PIX 'X'tra AX-90 and is "toothed". This belt-change is a PITA. I'd really like to fix the problem for a long term. So, wisdom of the forum, which one should I put on?
ronkom

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
pulleys wear over time, springs loose tension and can cut into the anchor points, shortening their effective length.
I run into this problem all the time with old mowers, particularly old MTD decks.
Check the pulleys are not polished on the bottom of the V in which case they are worn out.
If they are OK then get belts that are 1" shorter to compensate for the wear.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I can sense your frustration with belts, I too had problems with them, UNTIL I ordered OEM belts, some belts ARE better made than others, I use this place for ALL my belts... they DO work great for ME ! I removed my entire fender assy to do work on mine and replaced EVERY spring on my mower, also several brackets that had enlarged holes (worn) sorry that all I can offer at this time.
see link below, youmay want to confirm your model/serial #s but it seems the belt is the same for several of those models.

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/V-Belt/532130969/1926063

Last edited: