CC EFI tractors use different key

bullrider

Threads
The EFI Cub Cadets use a different kind of ignition key... it's a red plastic thing that looks at first glance like it just has a tip that fits into the keyhole and presses something in there when you start the engine. You might think it might be able to be replaced by just shoving a small screwdriver into the keyhole instead. But not so fast! The key turns out to have a tiny but VERY powerful little magnet which faces out to one side. It seems that when you push the key in, like pressing a button, the magnet at the side of the tip of the key moves next to a magnetic-type reed switch, pulling it, which then gets things underway. Why they chose this as the ignition key instead of a regular turn-the-key (including holding it 1.5 seconds) I don't know, but this seems to be how it works. You won't start the engine unless you have one of these keys, that's for sure.

The magnet on the key in this photo is facing down so you can't see it in the pic.

cub cadet key.jpg

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
The EFI Cub Cadets use a different kind of ignition key... it's a red plastic thing that looks at first glance like it just has a tip that fits into the keyhole and presses something in there when you start the engine. You might think it might be able to be replaced by just shoving a small screwdriver into the keyhole instead. But not so fast! The key turns out to have a tiny but VERY powerful little magnet which faces out to one side. It seems that when you push the key in, like pressing a button, the magnet at the side of the tip of the key moves next to a magnetic-type reed switch, pulling it, which then gets things underway. Why they chose this as the ignition key instead of a regular turn-the-key (including holding it 1.5 seconds) I don't know, but this seems to be how it works. You won't start the engine unless you have one of these keys, that's for sure.

The magnet on the key in this photo is facing down so you can't see it in the pic.

View attachment 36854

AND I wonder what a REPLACEMENT cost's ... My BIL lost a BMW "key" (electronic) ... $ 460.00 AND a MAJOR headache as he needed ownership paperwork brought to a dealer for verification .. $#@% That !!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
And when do we get the On-Board "blue-tooth" enabled Display so we can stream the game or weather while we mow and the GPS will direct us around our property, Ooops !!! ... AWWW SCHITT ..!!! I think that bloody mess, was the neighbors cat I just ran over ! better keep my eyes OFF that display !! ....... :laughing:..:laughing:

bullrider

Threads
AND I wonder what a REPLACEMENT cost's ... My BIL lost a BMW "key" (electronic) ... $ 460.00 AND a MAJOR headache as he needed ownership paperwork brought to a dealer for verification .. $#@% That !!

About $10 at Home Depot, which is where I got the photo of the key - from their website.

bullrider

Threads
And when do we get the On-Board "blue-tooth" enabled Display so we can stream the game or weather while we mow and the GPS will direct us around our property, Ooops !!! ... AWWW SCHITT ..!!! I think that bloody mess, was the neighbors cat I just ran over ! better keep my eyes OFF that display !! ....... :laughing:..:laughing:

The Bluetooth thing I gather is being used on other tractors, in fact you can buy a Bluetooth hour meter for other models. Actually the app might help remind me of when I need to change oil or filters or whatever, though it's hardly anything remotely vital.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Bluetooth thing I gather is being used on other tractors, in fact you can buy a Bluetooth hour meter for other models. Actually the app might help remind me of when I need to change oil or filters or whatever, though it's hardly anything remotely vital.

it has been discussed in our annual dealer update meeting, so it is on the way. And app to remind of needed service among other features. Possible could be tied to the new keyless start system.