Proper way to point debris when mowing, in or out?

badninja

Threads
  • / Proper way to point debris when mowing, in or out?
I used to live in a fairly secluded area where there were no neighbors and no restrictions. When I mowed, I mowed from the outside in, I always pointed the debris outwards toward the street and the tree line so as not to stress the mower more by making it continuously move grass that it has already cut. So outside of thinking about taking better care of my mower I didnt worry about where any debris went. Now I recently bought a new place, and although there are no restrictions, I do have neighbors at my property line now, one of which has a nice little garden directly on the other side of the fence, and the neighbors across the street (which is gravel) really aren't a problem but if the mower picked up a rock its very possible it could sling it through one of their windows or at one of their cars. I know I'd be annoyed about a neighbor blowing their grass and debris onto my lawn and burying my garden or carelessly pointing their mower in a direction which puts my property at risk for their carelessness.

So whats the proper way to go about it? The best option seems to point the debris inward but it seems that would put a lot of extra stress on the mower.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Proper way is to keep clippings and possible missiles on your property.

That doesn't mean you have to mow the entire yard throwing to the inside; just enough so that stuff doesn't leave your yard.

It annoys me to see people discharging their clippings into the street. Not only is it slovenly, clippings are extremely slippery for motorcycles.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I usually do 2 to 3 passes around the property and obstacles edges going clockwise with the discharge pointing in. Then I cut as normal, which for me is back and forth in straight lines with zero-turn mowers. It sounds like you're using a lawn tractor, so I'd suggest doing the first 2 or 3 passes pointing in (clockwise) and then you can go back to your customary method (counter-clockwise) for the remainder.