Honda HRM 21-BB low compression

lwalper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've struggled with this mower for the past couple of years - trouble starting, running badly. Have cleaned the carb a couple of times which (?)seemed to help. This season it just flat won't start.

I checked the spark, put in a new plug, sprayed a bit of starter fluid and it popped a couple of times. Thought "Well, maybe the coil is bad and not sparking consistently.

Pulled the plug and checked dry compression - 40 PSI - not enough to pop. Put a little 140W gear oil in the hole and and swirled it around a bit with the plug out. Recheck compression - WOW 175#. Squirted a little lighter penetrating oil in the hole and finally settled on about a wet 125 PSI. Reinstalled the plug, sprayed a little starter fluid and presto - runs great as long as I bleed in a little ether. Ran it for a couple of minutes on ether and rechecked the compression - about 100PSI warm. I'll recheck it again when it cools off.

Are there parts available for this engine - rings, valves etc to improve the compression? I like the mower and would like to get it running reliably.

lwalper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good compression today, but carb leaks fuel from the float bowl. Need a new O ring.

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

There should be parts available, just check partstree.com with the engine model number.

Regards

Jeff

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As you have already noticed taking compression readings on these engine is meaningless.
They have a mechanical decompressor built into the cam.
I will guess yours is on the way out & sticking or the valves are sticking.
Everything you need to rebuild the engine is available.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the cylinder(s) are good put in a new set of rings and lap the valves at the same time, if the cylinder(s) are bad hone it out, it will be as good as gold after a good run in...!