Changing Blades

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
:laughing: Yea I hear you.....so don't take my reply "personal" either.

But I could give a rat's *** what you think (or anyone else for that matter) either. All I did was just post my views on the subject just like everyone else has.

So you have a good day! :laughing:

Fine, don't listen to someone who actually knows what they're talking about. But why ask questions and waste everyone's time if you don't care what we think? Literally every one of your assumptions except unbalanced blades being bad for a mower is incorrect.

If you can't remove and replace a bolt and manage to not warp a blade using a file or grinder it's best that you send you machine out for service. :laughing:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ummm...not really. Sorry, but I find little merit to your comments. Please don't take it personally.

First of all, I've found that new blades are usually pretty unbalanced and not particularly sharp. I sharpen and balance new blades before I put them on my machines. Having an unbalanced blade will not cause an uneven cut but can certainly cause problems with vibration and spindle wear...that's why I always balance my blades. If you sharpen your blades evenly you won't change the balance much. I don't know how you'd warp a blade sharpening it. If you do that you're doing something terribly wrong. It's pretty simple to change blades, put them on properly and tighten them. I don't know how it could be done wrong other than putting them on upside down or not tightening them enough. I've never used a torque wrench on mine in 15+ years of mowing commercially and have never had an issue with them loosening or coming off...having them tighten and having a hard time getting them off due to hitting something, definitely yes. And I disagree that if you change your blades once/year they'll always be good, since as I mentioned above, they typically come from the factory unbalanced and not particularly sharp. So instead you're more likely to always have dull unbalanced blades.

Blades are not suppose to be particularly sharp. they are suppose to have a 30 thousands blunt edge when properly sharpened. And that is from the people that actually make the blades. the paint coating makes them feel duller than they actually are since they are sharpened to the 30 degree angle and 30 thousands blunt edge prior to painting, And the uneven paint will through the blade out of balance.

Mr. Mower

Threads
Fine, don't listen to someone who actually knows what they're talking about. But why ask questions and waste everyone's time if you don't care what we think? Literally every one of your assumptions except unbalanced blades being bad for a mower is incorrect.

If you can't remove and replace a bolt and manage to not warp a blade using a file or grinder it's best that you send you machine out for service. :laughing:

Yea whatever! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Mr. Mower

Threads
Blades are not suppose to be particularly sharp. they are suppose to have a 30 thousands blunt edge when properly sharpened. And that is from the people that actually make the blades. the paint coating makes them feel duller than they actually are since they are sharpened to the 30 degree angle and 30 thousands blunt edge prior to painting, And the uneven paint will through the blade out of balance.

Thank you for posting this!

Very good info. :thumbsup:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah I hear you. If you get them too sharp the edge just rolls over. But most of the new blades I get are too blunt for my liking and sharpened with such a coarse wheel that they're nearly serrated. Besides, since they're out of balance (by my standards) sharpening them gets done before mounting. FYI I use a Magnamatic Mag 1000 balancer. My 2002 and 2003 Exmarks which each have thousands of hours on them are still on their original spindles, so I must be doing something right. :smile:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you for posting this!

Very good info. :thumbsup:

My pleasure. I'm always here to help.

I just wanted to make sure that nobody else who happens to read this thread got the impression that blades are throw-away items that never need to be sharpened, never need to be balanced, that balance has anything to do with cut quality, that sharpening them would somehow warp them or that it's difficult to take a bolt out and replace it. You'd have to be pretty inept to mess it up.

Mr. Mower

Threads
My pleasure. I'm always here to help.

I just wanted to make sure that nobody else who happens to read this thread got the impression that blades are throw-away items that never need to be sharpened, never need to be balanced, that balance has anything to do with cut quality, that sharpening them would somehow warp them or that it's difficult to take a bolt out and replace it. You'd have to be pretty inept to mess it up.

:laughing:......what a dick!.....:laughing: