FX61V

Rumblingthunder

Forum Newbie
Threads
All,
I recently acquired a Big Dog R series zero turn mower with a Kawasaki FR691V engine. The engine had thrown a rod through the block causing the owner to let the finance company to repossess it.

I replaced the engine with a Kawasaki FX691V. However, the starter on the new engine is a shift-type starter and has a solenoid attached to it.

My question: how do I bypass the frame-mounted solenoid and hook to the engine’s starter-attached solenoid?

Thanks.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The wires that connect to frame mounted solenoid no go the starter mounted solenoid. I can get pictures when I get home.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The big red wire is from the battery. The small red wire is from charging and blue wire is solenoid trigger wire.
starter.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Generic information but may be useful to readers.
Move the thick lead that goes to the starter motor over to the same post as the one that comes from the battery, make sure they are both clean and do them up tight.
Leave the small red wire in place as that provides power to the rest of the mower.
At the base of the solenoid there will be 1 or 2 thin wires, these are the trigger wires.
One of them will show 12 V when you turn the key to start.
Make a jumper wire to go between that wire and the the small terminal on the new starter motor shown blue in the photo in the previous post.
Thus the only thing you do is move 1 wire and extend another.
This leaves the original wiring in place and will make diagnosing future electrical problems or refitting an original engine latter a lot easier.

Just a warning note some of the safety features might no longer work and you might be able t start the engine with the lap bars in the drive position.

Rumblingthunder

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gentlemen,
Please forgive my delay in responding to your kind responses. I’m a police commander and time is a rare commodity.
I got the engine going. It was a simple matter once I applied your advices.

Thanks and best wishes.