How to eradicate this thing burrowing under the lawn?

MowerMark

Threads
  • / How to eradicate this thing burrowing under the lawn?
Three years ago and now one week ago something is tunneling under the lawn. Three years ago an electronic "Mole Chaser" was used along with "Gopher Gassers".... which are like flares which one sticks into the tunnel.

This thing hasn't destroyed the grass, but it is weird for me to step on the lawn and feel the "give" of the tunnels. Hasn't produced any mounds of dirt, but I can poke my finger into a tunnel as that's the prep needed to insert the flares.

What's the best way to stop him or her? Continue the Gassers?

(I have a movie of the grass moving as it tunnels!)

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have added cat poop into the tunnel, make an opening & add some & see what happens. My experience with it has been positive.

Moles or voles don't like having the dung from something that would eat them.

PS: If you are seeing the tunnels being made, have a good shovel in hand & try & stab the little sucker. I got one that way. Left him in the tunnel & it seemed to deter his tunnel buddies away.

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
We had a problem with it years ago, cats cleaned up the problem in just a few weeks and we are mole free for the last 15 years

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Likely Voles due to there not being mounds of soil. I trap them (and Chipmunks) in our vegetable garden with a small "Haveahart" trap baited with Strawberries. I don't like killing critters, even nuisance ones, so I relocate them to the other end of our large property.

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
Likely Voles due to there not being mounds of soil. I trap them (and Chipmunks) in our vegetable garden with a small "Haveahart" trap baited with Strawberries. I don't like killing critters, even nuisance ones, so I relocate them to the other end of our large property.
I think this is how Pennsylvania got populated

badninja

Threads
I am not sure on the legallities of this, you may want to check in your state before doing this.

I had a beighbor that suggested it to me and swears by it. I have yet to try it.

Use the exhaust off of an engine. Tape a tube to the exhaust pipe and run it into the most recent hole. Try to seal the tube into the ground to keep the exhaust from just puffing back out.

Probably a good idea to leave any previous holes open so as to make sure the exhaust is free to completely traverse the tunnels.

Really it seems genius to me. But then again, it may be illegal. I have no idea.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I won't tell, if you don't.