New Member - Need Snapper Help

BobbyFord

Threads
Hi,
New member here. I'm having trouble with ID and year of my push mower.
Model V212 Serial# 92011485
I've been using this mower since about 1996 with zero problems. It's all original except for newer tires. This mower runs good, burns a little oil and just broke the pull cord. I like this mower and I want to get a new motor as opposed to buying a new mower.
Not really worried about price as much as getting a quality motor that will last. Do all lawn mower motors have the same deck bolt pattern? Where is a good place to get a new motor? I've seen talk of shaft size.
Any help will be appreciated.

wingless

Threads
Welcome to the forum.

When I replaced the engine on my Snapper self propelled 21" walk behind I purchased the replacement from Northern Tool.

They have a decent selection and acceptable prices.

Here are their Vertical Shaft Briggs and Stratton Engines. They also offer Honda engines.

The Snapper deck already has plenty of holes for a variety of engine bolt patterns.

The easy solution would be to select one w/ a shaft that matches the existing pulley and blade mount. When I swapped my engine I also installed the available larger shaft pulley for greater ground speed.

wingless

Threads
This shows the Snapper engine bolt pattern.

36376841885_020fd697c2_b.jpg

BobbyFord

Threads
Awesome. Thanks for the reply! I will definitely check out Northern Tool, I already have an account with them.
In the meantime, I went to replace the pull cord so that I can at least finish mowing my lawn (broke when I tried to restart after emptying the bag,) dropped the plastic gear and the spring popped out. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to load the spring after getting it back in the plastic gear. I guess I'll run the starter housing down to the local Snapper repair so the guy can laugh at me.

*EDIT: Great job on your mower restomod.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Awesome. Thanks for the reply! I will definitely check out Northern Tool, I already have an account with them.
In the meantime, I went to replace the pull cord so that I can at least finish mowing my lawn (broke when I tried to restart after emptying the bag,) dropped the plastic gear and the spring popped out. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to load the spring after getting it back in the plastic gear. I guess I'll run the starter housing down to the local Snapper repair so the guy can laugh at me.

Check on Youtube How To's !

BobbyFord

Threads
Mine is a pusher so does shaft diameter matter since there is no drive pulley?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mine is a pusher so does shaft diameter matter since there is no drive pulley?

Yes cause the blade holder is also dependent upon the shaft size

Also try small engine supplies and small engine warehouse.
At this time of year they start to get the surplus engines in and the factory pulls ( engine gets changed between seasons )
If you have problems, read the setions on their web sites about measuring and replacing engines.
In most cases the difference is little more than the colour of the blower housing.
They all come with carbs and most have mufflers as well so the worst thing is you might have to buy a universal throttle cable and cut it down to fit.

Threads
Bobby Ford if your engine is just burning a lil bit of oil you should be good on that engine for a another season... Just put in some 40 WT. oil in it Straight 40 should do you good..... Or 50..... Race cars and certain engines that burn a lil oil works good with the heavy oil....

I knew a Bobby Ford in South Louisiana years ago.. He owned a trucking company in Abbeville La. Any relation ??

The spring is easily replaced....... Your shaft is 7/8 in. more than likely on that mower....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!