Low power when driving husqvarna cth 140 twin

anthonyk

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Husqvarna CTH 140 Twin, Started her up after the winter and drove her around the lawn. She has no power, pushed hydrostat lever fully up and still no real power.

The mower is 7 years old and I've changed the oil my self but no other service.

Few people told me check transmission fluid. I took of the back panel but cant figure out how to check levels or even if this is possible.

There is like a plastic container on top of the trans with a small black cap, i remover the cap but it looks to be a sealed unit.

Could it be the belt, is there away to tension the drive belt or is it the transmission fluid?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you say "She has no power" do you mean:

a.)the engine is not producing normal power, or

b.)the engine IS producing normal power but the power is not getting to the ground, i.e., the mower spins up normally but tractor moves slower than normal.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I took the OP to mean that it's moving more slowly than normal, but I could be wrong.

I would suggest that you first make sure that the motion control lever is operating properly. It's possible that it just needs lubrication or adjustment.

Note to all: This lawn tractor uses a hand-operated motion control lever to control the direction and speed of travel. Interesting...

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I took the OP to mean that it's moving more slowly than normal, but I could be wrong.

I would suggest that you first make sure that the motion control lever is operating properly. It's possible that it just needs lubrication or adjustment.

Note to all: This lawn tractor uses a hand-operated motion control lever to control the direction and speed of travel. Interesting...

We had a Cub Cadet 107 hydrostat which had a hand-operated motion control lever. It was a pain to maneuver in close quarters. Both hands tied up; neither foot doing anything.

anthonyk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine seems fine. Full power there.

Hydrostat Lever seems fine. Mower doesn't pick up speed when lever is at full throttle, just moves slowly along. Seems like it's trying to get faster but just can't get it.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maybe time for a leak-down test on the engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hydros wear out slowly.
You start to notice they go a little slower up hills and usually they get slower the longer you run them & the hotter they get.
A sudden loss of traction is usually a belt or pulley
So off with the deck , mark the belt then inspect it's full length you are looking for
1) worn thin between the V sides ( they drive from the V )
2) wear at the bottom , thin end of the belt, shows either the belt is worn too thin & running on the root of the pulley or a pulley is worn too thin.
3) a single burn spot where the belt seems under cut
4) a broken spring so the belt is not tight when the brake is
5) an idler pulley with a frozen bearing or collapsed bearing.
6) Debris build up under the frame under the clutch stop preventing the clutch fully engaging.
7) dragging brake due to debris build up or corrosion preventing it fully releasing.

Should keep you out of the pub for an hour or two.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Engine seems fine. Full power there.

Hydrostat Lever seems fine. Mower doesn't pick up speed when lever is at full throttle, just moves slowly along. Seems like it's trying to get faster but just can't get it.

If the engine's fine, the problem is with the hydrostatic drive. I was hoping the problem was with the engine. I might have been able to help with that. But hydrostats are something I've never had the pleasure of fixing.

Does it feel like the brake is releasing fully?

Last edited: