Toro Recycler Won't Start

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My std "it wont start" proceedure goes like this.

Fit an in like red neon tube spark tester in the HT line ( red so you can see it in the daylight )
remove the plug and replace it with a known good one.
While the plug is out give the cylinder an quick, short shot of carb cleaner ( a little kinder to the engine than starting fluid ).
Give it a pull.
No re flashes = duff coil, remove the kill wire & repeat.
Fires and runs a few seconds = bad fuel / fuel supply
fires once & once only = bad valve / valve timing.
Does not fire at all = ignition timing problem

Try the same again with the carb cleaner down carb throat.
No start , confirms a valve problem.
Backfire through carb = valve problem or induction air leak
Runs confirms fuel supply problem
backfire in muffler is to be expected from excess starting fluid.

From there you then look carefully at the area pointed to in the triage process above to do a proper diagnosis.
This takes all of about 2 to 3 minutes so is clean & quick.

After that i start pulling float bowls off, & blower housings etc etc etc.
Time is money as are parts & I don't have time to waste by fixing parts that are not broken in the first place.

Push mowers have a flat rate 1 hour labour charge and if I can diagnose & fix in less then 15 min I am a happy man.

GiantMidget

Forum Newbie
Threads
Alright I’ve done the tablespoon thing with no success, fuel ejected through exhaust. Gonna test pressure and then if not that then timing. Anything in particular to look for when testing the timing? (I know how 4-stroke works so if something is blatantly wrong I’d know but I’ve looked at the timing before and found no issues, so are there any quirks I might be missing?

Russ2251

Threads
So you got no fire at all? Not even a backfire?

Threads
This is how I put gas in a carb for a test start....... I take a lighter fluid container, the ones for a BBQ. I put gas in that and can squirt it in almost any carb throat application... I have 1 each for 2 strokes and pure gas but 2 stroke works fine in a four stroke.........

Take the air shroud off and look at the slot both the flywheel and the crank shaft..... I have people tell me IT LOOKS GOOD, then I get to their house and there are 2 pieces a inch away from each other.... Ohhhhh they say... LOL.....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Russ2251

Threads
How are you checking for spark?

Russ2251

Threads
Sometimes, on a weak/defective plug, compression stroke can blow out spark.
Try another known good plug.

GiantMidget

Forum Newbie
Threads
IMG_2159.jpg

Alright, I did a pressure test by screwing a gauge into where the spark plug was and giving the engine a few yanks. The needle didn't even move...
Either there is barely any pressure, which I find hard to believe (there is significant resistance to pull-starting) or the gauge is sketching out. Ill try again with a tire gauge which should be more sensitive.
(and yes, I threaded it on properly and tightly)

Thanks for all the help so far guys! No results yet but I'll attempt more tomorrow!

Threads
I used a similar gauge today on a weed whacker... It's a 100.00 dollar or more gauge though bought from a outboard dealership..... My buddy uses it all the time in his shop....

I got 50 to 60 pounds on that and that is not a good thing. It wants to hit and pop but, it's not enough for a weed eater...... We looked at the piston on it a while back and it looks new... So we bought a new carb... Nope nadda nothing so I guess the ring is shot or just stuck to the piston....

I think you might need to find a different compression gauge for that purpose..... Might give you a good reading.......

I am gonna make a video on my squirt can method for getting gas into a carb.... You gave me a good reason to make one...... Hey here in Cajun Country all we need to have a party is to drop a hat LOL ~!~!

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!