Toro Recycler Won't Start

GiantMidget

Forum Newbie
Threads
First post so please be gentle ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Alright folks, I found this old *** Toro Recycler on the side of the road, was bored as hell so took it home to try and revive it.
I've done just about everything I can imagine and I still can't get the damn thing to start. Here it is:

-Upon pull-starting, there is definitely pressure resistance, so I can conclude that the cylynder is pressurized.
-I have cleaned the cylinder from all carbon build-up.
-Spark is present.
-Old carb was siezed up I couldn't get into it, ordered a new one, so in theory carb shouldn't be a problem.
-Using fresh gasoline

From what I can tell, spark, pressure, mixture - the thing should start, right?
I'm convinced the problem must be with either a)carb or b) timing, however carb is new and timing seems correct.
Carb is new, so any advice on how to test if it is working properly (fuel being actually sucked through the venturi), or any other potential reasons the thing isn't starting?

Anything helps, I'm desperate at this point...

Threads
Ok first things first............. You made a great find.....

1st thing...... You said you cleaned carbon from the cylinder.... Out side or inside... ?? Inside of cylinders don't have carbon in them... The top of the piston does have that and the inside the head....

2nd thing..... You have spark... Ok did you put a new plug in ???

3rd thing.... You said it SEEMS to be in time.... That Mon Ami I would NOT trust since you found it on the curb.... I find a lot of trash mowers like you did and it was 1 of 2 things....

The carb was clogged up from being sat up all winter and the ethanol gas just screwed that up all the way... Maybe the fuel lines too... I change them often and buy it by the rolls...

Now the flywheel key is maybe another other main reason for that being on the curb....

That's might be the reason for your non starting issue....

Did it backfire ?? Did it pull the rope out of your hand ?? Is the bade bent that you can see ??

If the blade is screwed then you may have found the issue...

Those or the first things to look for in a mower like that... Hope this helps you out .....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

GiantMidget

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok first things first............. You made a great find.....

1st thing...... You said you cleaned carbon from the cylinder.... Out side or inside... ?? Inside of cylinders don't have carbon in them... The top of the piston does have that and the inside the head....

2nd thing..... You have spark... Ok did you put a new plug in ???

3rd thing.... You said it SEEMS to be in time.... That Mon Ami I would NOT trust since you found it on the curb.... I find a lot of trash mowers like you did and it was 1 of 2 things....

The carb was clogged up from being sat up all winter and the ethanol gas just screwed that up all the way... Maybe the fuel lines too... I change them often and buy it by the rolls...

Now the flywheel key is maybe another other main reason for that being on the curb....

That's might be the reason for your non starting issue....

Did it backfire ?? Did it pull the rope out of your hand ?? Is the bade bent that you can see ??

If the blade is screwed then you may have found the issue...

Those or the first things to look for in a mower like that... Hope this helps you out .....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Alright, thanks for the reply:

Yes I cleaned the piston head and the inside of the cylinder head.

I put in a new plug and a new ignition coil. Both I have tested to work perfectly.

There is one short fuel line from the tank to the carb, fuel flow is present and there is no debris in the carb to indicate a clogged fuel line.

Blade is not bent, however I removed it for troubleshooting the engine.

It did not backfire, no signs of even an attempted start/combustion.

Flywheel and pull-start mechanisms seem solid..I’ll check that and synchronization when I get home today.

Thanks again!

Russ2251

Threads
Before disassembling anything, try the following:

Remove spark plug and pour in a ~tablespoon of fresh gasoline.
Reinstall plug and attempt to start.
Should run for a few seconds.

If does not fire, you have an ignition issue.
If does run for a short burst, then you have an induction issue.

GiantMidget

Forum Newbie
Threads
Before disassembling anything, try the following:

Remove spark plug and pour in a ~tablespoon of fresh gasoline.
Reinstall plug and attempt to start.
Should run for a few seconds.

If does not fire, you have an ignition issue.
If does run for a short burst, then you have an induction issue.

Or if it doesn’t fire I’ve put in too much gasoline; one tablespoon seems like a lot considering peak mixture is ~15:1 and this is a small 5hp cylinder (I don’t know exact cc’s)

Sounds very sketchy; to be honest I’ll try this as well as I have no better ideas.

Russ2251

Threads
Sounds very sketchy
It's a very basic diagnostic tool and is done by the best of us at one time or another.:thumbsup:
Far safer than starting ether!!!:thumbdown::thumbdown:

Russ2251

Threads
Do not choke if using this method or will surly flood.

DaveTN

Threads
Even if there is some resistance in pulling to start, there may not be sufficient P.S.I. (90 or better)
in order to fire the engine off and run. You can pull your guts out at 70 P.S.I. and you'll be lucky
to get the engine to hit a lick, let alone run and have power. I'd do a compression check first,
then check valve clearances, and then check the flywheel for a crimped key just to be sure.
Get sufficient compression, good spark at the right time, and the right fuel/air mix and it should
start and run. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Also, check the exhaust system/muffler.
Mud dobbers will build nests anywhere----in fuel hoses sitting around, in muffler ports, etc.

The engine will not fire if it cannot exhaust (remember the banana or potato up the exhaust pipe gag??

BTW...for most of my adolescent and adult life, I stood 6"6".
I used to tell gawkers that my father was 4'1" and my mother 3'7" tall, making me the worlds TALLEST MIDGET !!

GiantMidget

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also, check the exhaust system/muffler.
Mud dobbers will build nests anywhere----in fuel hoses sitting around, in muffler ports, etc.

The engine will not fire if it cannot exhaust (remember the banana or potato up the exhaust pipe gag??

BTW...for most of my adolescent and adult life, I stood 6"6".
I used to tell gawkers that my father was 4'1" and my mother 3'7" tall, making me the worlds TALLEST MIDGET !!

Exhaust is clean, so are all ports and hoses.