Revs too high

hrdman2luv

Threads
34G777 Briggs revs too high. It will throttle up and down. But the high is too high. And the low is also too high, even after throttle down. When the throttle is all the way down, it tries to die.
I've set the governor (twice) replaced the carb (for other reasons). The gov. spring looks ok. The short fat spring behind the bracket that holds everything isn't bent. The linkage from the governor to the carb isn't bent either. Everything seems to be in it's right shape and position.

I'm at a loss.

Note: When you throttle the engine down, it does throttle down.

Threads
I have a question for you......... When you are at wide open throttle which way does the gov arm move ?? Counter clockwise or clock wise ??

hrdman2luv

Threads
I have a question for you......... When you are at wide open throttle which way does the gov arm move ?? Counter clockwise or clock wise ??

The arm that comes out of the block, with the throttle as low as it'll got, when I increase the throttle, that arm turns clockwise until I get just a little shy of 1/2 throttle. You can barely see it move. But it does move clockwise.

Note: That's with the engine off.

hrdman2luv

Threads
I bent the little arm that holds the short fat spring that connects to the governor arm, and that helped, but didn't fix the problem. And now, seems there's some back firing coming through the carburetor. And it's surging now. (New carb)

hrdman2luv

Threads
Check out this Youtube vid, watch till very end !! shows Gov. adjusting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7rvHH0IPPk

I'm pretty sure I got the governor adjustment down. In this video, at the 10:25 mark, he mentions the governor having some wear. But also makes it sound as if just adjusting it can stop the reving up and down that's also what's going on. (which is why I installed the new carb).

One thing to note about the gov adjustment, I lo0sen the arm (that connects the rod & spring from the carb), turn the governor stud clockwise, but the arm itself, won't reach the bracket. On others I've adjusted, seems like I was able to push the arm all the way to the bracket, then tighten it up.

https://youtu.be/XbFyGRixoGA

Tinkerer200

Threads
"34G777 Briggs"

What is a B&S 34G777?

Walt Conner

Threads
I'm pretty sure I got the governor adjustment down. In this video, at the 10:25 mark, he mentions the governor having some wear. But also makes it sound as if just adjusting it can stop the reving up and down that's also what's going on. (which is why I installed the new carb).

One thing to note about the gov adjustment, I lo0sen the arm (that connects the rod & spring from the carb), turn the governor stud clockwise, but the arm itself, won't reach the bracket. On others I've adjusted, seems like I was able to push the arm all the way to the bracket, then tighten it up.

https://youtu.be/XbFyGRixoGA

Ok the throttle linkage has to be on there to adjust the gov.... When throttle is wide open hold that round plate and gov arm while the bolt is loose.. Then turn the gov shaft clockwise and tighten the bolt.... I messed a couple times in my younger days by not holding everything in place........ We all did it at one time or another messing up something.... If it's wrong it won't throttle the right way......

Let us know again again mon Ami ~~!~

hrdman2luv

Threads
Ok the throttle linkage has to be on there to adjust the gov.... When throttle is wide open hold that round plate and gov arm while the bolt is loose.. Then turn the gov shaft clockwise and tighten the bolt.... I messed a couple times in my younger days by not holding everything in place........ We all did it at one time or another messing up something.... If it's wrong it won't throttle the right way......

Let us know again again mon Ami ~~!~

I think I did that. I used a rubber band to hold the throttle plate on the carb open. That way I could hold the governor bracket to the right, while holding clockwise tension on the gov stud. Then tightening up the bracket nut.

BTW, the gov spring (behind the bracket/cover) is loose when the trottle is low, and tight when throttle is up. So, I'm guessing that's normal.

I'm thinking, as your pointing out, I'm missing something simple.