Revs too high

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have the service manual it will tell you the top running RPM's to set it at... You will need a tach for that.......

I sent him a service manual, see earlier posts.

ALSO check page 17 0f service manual for cable adjusting

hrdman2luv

Threads
If you have the service manual it will tell you the top running RPM's to set it at... You will need a tach for that.......

I don't have a tach. Or know how to set the governor. As far as I know, they're sort of preset. Except for being able to bend the place where the governor spring attaches. And Unless I'm mistaken, I didn't see any way of adjusting anything. You just loosen the nut, turn the govenor clockwise, while holding the loose lever to the right as well. And it should be set.

Pardon my ignorance guys, but I've never seen this before.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
HELLO !!!

HAVE YOU EVEN CHECKED THE PREVIOUS POSTS ?? I'm beginning to think we are talking to a %$#@$$#@ wall !!

Threads
Briggs make a tool for setting the gov... It's called a tang bender and in the service manual it shows exactly how to do 2 different gov settings...

Once you got the gov adjustment done at the arm and gov stud itself then you have to adjust the tang.. Idle adjust and high speed adjust.........You do those with the TANG bender ~!~!

Threads
Also section 1... page 20 shows the adjustments for your engine.... and like Boo said page 17 shows how to set the throttle cable.. That is important ............

hrdman2luv

Threads
HELLO !!!

HAVE YOU EVEN CHECKED THE PREVIOUS POSTS ?? I'm beginning to think we are talking to a %$#@$$#@ wall !!

Sorry, I meant I didn't know how to set the RPM's. They're from what I understand, they're sort of factory set with no adjustments on this engine set up. From what I read on the pages you listed for the link, I didn't see what could make the manual throttle lever, not control the throttle. The cable from the dash lever goes to the sliding plate. Which connects to a spring that's connected to the choke lever. It's like there's nothing connecting the throttle cable to the actual carburetor.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry, I meant I didn't know how to set the RPM's. They're from what I understand, they're sort of factory set with no adjustments on this engine set up. From what I read on the pages you listed for the link, I didn't see what could make the manual throttle lever, not control the throttle. The cable from the dash lever goes to the sliding plate. Which connects to a spring that's connected to the choke lever. It's like there's nothing connecting the throttle cable to the actual carburetor.

Go BACK to see pics on post # 18.... the throttle rod with lonnng delicate spring for the carb is connected to the arm behind the throttle cable control plate, the throttle cable moves the linkage ON the CONTROL PLATE which in turn moves the linkage of the carburetor, be sure you have set the throttle CABLE on the control plate as shown in the manual.

that lever behind the plate which that lonnnng spring and throttle rod connects to is the Governor arm

hrdman2luv

Threads
So I adjust the valves and bent the stop on the throttle control plate. That seems to do the trick. With the exception of the up and down reving. At about medium idle, it lopes like it's got a huge cam in it, and will die. But at high idle, it revs up & down. At high throttle and the deck engaged, it runs a lot better. So correct me if I'm wrong, I'm thinking I got a bad carburetor.

BTW, thanks for all your replies. I'm a dummy at this stuff, I know it. But being a trucker for 15 years, and no longer able to do so (because of my knee), trying to fix small engines is some sort of income. I usually don't have this much trouble. This one has been a real nightmare.

D

(deleted)

Connection between the two- that is the question. Ultimately the throttle plate in the carburetor controls the engine speed. And they do sometimes come loose on these. You can inspect it easily by removing the upper shroud and the elbow that is held to the end of the carb. The governor assembly inside the engine is what controls the linkage to the throttle shaft. So if all else looks good, that should be your answer.

hrdman2luv

Threads
Connection between the two- that is the question. Ultimately the throttle plate in the carburetor controls the engine speed. And they do sometimes come loose on these. You can inspect it easily by removing the upper shroud and the elbow that is held to the end of the carb. The governor assembly inside the engine is what controls the linkage to the throttle shaft. So if all else looks good, that should be your answer.

I noticed during all of this trial and error, that I could push the governor arm (that's connected to the throttle plate, forward, and the engine would idle down, as it should That's why I questioned why I even took the sump off. I should've known better. Because if you can lower the engines RPM's by moving the gov arm, then the governor on the inside is adjusted. Maybe not dead center.
So, i'm guessing now that it's all in the carb.

Maybe what you said is absolutely right. But I don't remember the throttle plate being sticky, when the governor linkage wasn't connected.