Buying Advice scag tiger cat ll or turf tiger ll ?

james2828

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have use a john deere for 8 yrs. but I am gonna buy a new mower my neighbors use scag zero turn mowers and finish much quicker than I do with the john deere... we are all on 3 acre lots..
I have read about the turf tiger and agree it's a great mower but I'm not a pro... I mow once maybe twice a week and the tiger cat ll looks to me to be a good fit and it's over $4000.00 dollars less..What is the going opions on these to mowers...?
I've also looked at the John Deere zero turn but their price for the ztrak950 are quite expensive and if I'm gonna spend the money I think the scag is the way to go.. what are the opions out there .... Help

Sweats

Threads
I bought a TCII, 61" deck, Kohler 29HP EFI last spring and mowed 4 acres of sort of bumpy to lunar landscape bumpy lawn at least once a week all summer. My only concern with the TCII is that the frame might fatigue over the long haul with the weight of the 61" deck coupled with the jarring it gets from our ground. If I had $4000 more in the budget, I'd have bought the TTII just for the frame but my mower was already several thousand over what my wife had alloted, so I'm thankful to have gotten what I did and remain married. All that said, it's a wonderful mower. It has all sorts of power, and the cut, even in the awful areas of the yard, is great. It's comfortable too; the suspension seat is awsome and makes mowing bearable even in the roughest areas.

I guess what I'm suggesting in way too many words is buy as much as you can within your budget and don't look back. Good luck.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have use a john deere for 8 yrs. but I am gonna buy a new mower my neighbors use scag zero turn mowers and finish much quicker than I do with the john deere... we are all on 3 acre lots..

Mow on a different day.

There. Use the money you saved on something else.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Trash...from trolls?

I'm devastated!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
cpurvis is actually a rather helpful member here and far from being a troll. It appears to me that the point he was making is that it's not a competition of who can mow their lawn faster, and if you feel somehow inferior to your neighbors because they finish faster, just mow on a different day so you're not competing with them. If your Deere is in good condition and getting the job done, do you really need a new mower? I think that's his point.

I can't speak to the differences between the two mowers - I've never owned or operated either of them. I have read about a number of significant problems with the TC II, but for a homeowner mowing 3 acres it is indeed a big step up to the TT that is probably unnecessary. Scag makes nice machines and their quality of cut is hard to beat. But the question is, do you need one, or just want one for what may be superficial reasons...

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have read about the turf tiger and agree it's a great mower but I'm not a pro... I mow once maybe twice a week and the tiger cat ll looks to me to be a good fit and it's over $4000.00 dollars less..What is the going opions on these to mowers...?
I've also looked at the John Deere zero turn but their price for the ztrak950 are quite expensive and if I'm gonna spend the money I think the scag is the way to go.. what are the opions out there .... Help

I run commercially. I have three Tiger Cats. There is no way I want to spend the extra money for the Turf Tiger. One of my Tiger Cats was bought the summer of 2014 and has over 1800 hours on it and runs every day. The second one was bought in April of 2015 and has excess of 1100 on it and the third was bought in May of 2015 and has over 800 on it.

I have never seen anything built that will cut tall stemmed grass better than the Tiger Cat. Cutting one yard A Tiger Cat with a Kawasaki should last you the rest of your life if you keep it serviced.

A Tiger at Scag with a 52" deck and Kawasaki engine is a very tough machine to beat cutting grass. If I could find one sold locally that will out cut them I would be running them.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bought a TCII, 61" deck, Kohler 29HP EFI last spring and mowed 4 acres of sort of bumpy to lunar landscape bumpy lawn at least once a week all summer. My only concern with the TCII is that the frame might fatigue over the long haul with the weight of the 61" deck coupled with the jarring it gets from our ground. If I had $4000 more in the budget, I'd have bought the TTII just for the frame but my mower was already several thousand over what my wife had alloted, so I'm thankful to have gotten what I did and remain married. All that said, it's a wonderful mower. It has all sorts of power, and the cut, even in the awful areas of the yard, is great. It's comfortable too; the suspension seat is awsome and makes mowing bearable even in the roughest areas.

I guess what I'm suggesting in way too many words is buy as much as you can within your budget and don't look back. Good luck.

You have not got to worry about the frame. If you run high lift blades you will have sand damage inside the deck around 800 hours. I have never seen one with frame issues although I am sure that there is one somewhere out there that has.

I HIGHLY recommend however that you go with the Kawasaki Engine for the long haul. I have personally never seen anybody that had problems with the Kawasaki motors and I can not say that for the Kohler. In fact I have seen few of them that had high hours on them that had not had some issues.

If A Tiger Cat will run under the conditions we run them under they will last a lifetime for a normal consumer.

james2828

Forum Newbie
Threads
cpurvis is actually a rather helpful member here and far from being a troll. It appears to me that the point he was making is that it's not a competition of who can mow their lawn faster, and if you feel somehow inferior to your neighbors because they finish faster, just mow on a different day so you're not competing with them. If your Deere is in good condition and getting the job done, do you really need a new mower? I think that's his point.

I can't speak to the differences between the two mowers - I've never owned or operated either of them. I have read about a number of significant problems with the TC II, but for a homeowner mowing 3 acres it is indeed a big step up to the TT that is probably unnecessary. Scag makes nice machines and their quality of cut is hard to beat. But the question is, do you need one, or just want one for what may be superficial reasons...

Honestly not a completion.... only looking for a honest answer of which of the two mowers are best for mowing a 3 acre lot ... I thought this form would help me make a judgement about a scag zero turn... some enjoy making comments that are really no help..
I don't mow for a living I'm retired and cost is not a factor I just like to research to educate myself on which is the more appropriate
machine....
If the gentlemen was devastated ....I do apologize... In all my years I've never been called a " Troll" interesting??

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, I think jekjr, who runs the TCs commercially has answered your question. Good luck with your purchase, whichever machine you ultimately decide on.