wingless' 1956 Lawn Boy Iron Horse Brick Top Model 5000 18" C-12 Aluminum Deck Resto

wingless

Threads
  • / wingless' 1956 Lawn Boy Iron Horse Brick Top Model 5000 18" C-12 Aluminum Deck Resto
Re: wingless' 1956 Lawn Boy Iron Horse Brick Top Model 5000 18" C-12 Aluminum Deck Re

I'd like to ask:how long did this take you? Beautiful job by the way.As far as parts,did you have to order any or you do these kinds of jobs?
Thanks.

As would be expected, my long-term ownership / operation of this machine included replacement parts, both initially to get it operational, then recently for the restoration.

In all cases I was able to purchase OEM parts to maintain originality, with a few exceptions. The original Owner Manual was essential because it shows / lists every single part and part number. Long ago, when I first got the machine, there were lawn mower stores w/ these parts on the shelves. They would / could order parts they didn't already have on-hand. Those days are gone... Now everything is online sellers. The OEM decal set has always been NLA throughout my ownership, so I purchased the reproduction set shown. I also purchased the indicated correct top coat colors. The three steel oval head flat slot screws that retain the recoil starter halves together are NLA, so I purchased brass oval head flat slot screws and used a metallic paint to attain the correct appearance. A Phillips head screw would be totally wrong at that location!

In my case the greatest difficulty was that one tank PEM was spinning, preventing tank removal from the shroud. The solution was to purchase an 11" needle nose pliers w/ a 90° bend, so I could hold the PEM on the tank interior through the filler neck. Then it was easy.

Once I overcame that tank disassembly issue, the disassembly was routine to me (from my long operational ownership) for cleaning, parts replacement and refinishing. I have a really nice Festool vacuum sander w/ appropriate media for outstanding paint preparation, as-shown in the images.

RestoGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / wingless' 1956 Lawn Boy Iron Horse Brick Top Model 5000 18" C-12 Aluminum Deck Resto
I just picked up a 5000 yesterday....what good fortune to find this thread...thanks wingless for all the information. The mower I purchased is complete...reasonably good shape...great compression...rusty tank...you know the routne. I do need the groups input on a couple if issues. Thanks in advance for your help.
1. Wingless...Who was your company contact for the owners manual and parts list?
2. There is a small crack in the deck by the right rear wheel....guy wants $100 to weld it....I'll pass on that price and use JB Weld. I don't plan to use the mower...just display it along with my other Lawn-Boys. There is a second deck defect on the top of the deck by the right front wheel. Some object struck the bottom of the deck and pushed up a small dent with a small crack. I could fill the crack and live with the dent....or try and fix the dent. Do I dare try to gently tap the dent down after heating the dent? My experience with these cast decks says don't even think about doing that....your thoughts?
3. This is my first look at a 5000...haven't figured out the choke/kill system yet. The black plunger is there and I see how it engages the choke lever...but the kill switch has me stumped....not sure if I am missing any parts....a diagram would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help.

wingless

Threads
Thanks for the great feedback and for the PM.

My Owner's Manual was printed by me MANY decades ago from a PDF received by Lawn Boy. I don't have that file or those documents any longer.

No idea on fixing the aluminum defects but I would be waaay too scared to attempt that repair, for fear of making things worse.

The choke / kill system has a retained hidden regular wire, w/ the bare end formed into a D shape, that the black knob pushes to short out / kill the ignition, when the knob is rotated.

RestoGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the great feedback and for the PM.

My Owner's Manual was printed by me MANY decades ago from a PDF received by Lawn Boy. I don't have that file or those documents any longer.

No idea on fixing the aluminum defects but I would be waaay too scared to attempt that repair, for fear of making things worse.

The choke / kill system has a retained hidden regular wire, w/ the bare end formed into a D shape, that the black knob pushes to short out / kill the ignition, when the knob is rotated.
Thanks for the feedback.
Any idea where I can purchase that kill switch wire? What vendors do you recommend for vintage Lawn-Boy parts?
I agree on being careful with any deck repairs....I will use a bit of JB weld or short strand fiberglass to fix the small crack.
Thanks again for your posts here and your reply.

wingless

Threads
When I updated my wire I just used standard stranded DC hookup wire, bent into a D shape. The business end of the wire is stripped bare, retained by the molded nylon part and screw.

intruder1500

Threads
I just picked up a 5000 yesterday....what good fortune to find this thread...thanks wingless for all the information. The mower I purchased is complete...reasonably good shape...great compression...rusty tank...you know the routne. I do need the groups input on a couple if issues. Thanks in advance for your help.
1. Wingless...Who was your company contact for the owners manual and parts list?
2. There is a small crack in the deck by the right rear wheel....guy wants $100 to weld it....I'll pass on that price and use JB Weld. I don't plan to use the mower...just display it along with my other Lawn-Boys. There is a second deck defect on the top of the deck by the right front wheel. Some object struck the bottom of the deck and pushed up a small dent with a small crack. I could fill the crack and live with the dent....or try and fix the dent. Do I dare try to gently tap the dent down after heating the dent? My experience with these cast decks says don't even think about doing that....your thoughts?
3. This is my first look at a 5000...haven't figured out the choke/kill system yet. The black plunger is there and I see how it engages the choke lever...but the kill switch has me stumped....not sure if I am missing any parts....a diagram would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help.
You might try here for a manual.