New tractor - 42 inch deck questions

bullrider

Threads
Just got my Cub Cadet LT1 42" deck tractor and I have a question... when I engage the mower deck it sort of jumps a bit and while it's running it seems to have a vibration to it. It's not a constant vibration, it sort of fluctuates. Is that normal? I've been using numerous ancient Wheel Horses and when you spin up the decks on those it's just a whirring and really no vibrations, in fact on occasion on the old WH I found I had forgot to start the deck back up after stopping it for some reason - I didn't notice it wasn't running. Is the 42" Cub deck supposed to be perfectly smooth or can I expect that it's gonna make me aware it's running? One more question, is there supposed to be any timing between the left and right blades or should they just pretty much coexist closely side by side no matter where each one is in relation to the other? Thanks.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Probably just the spring-loaded idler pulley for the deck belt moving back and forth and the belt wobbling around a bit. Perfectly normal on modern mowers.

I presume the blades aren't timed. Most aren't. Don't know about your mower, but I'd be surprised if they are timed.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
We had one of the very early Cub Cadets and it had timed blades. The deck belt was a toothed (Gilmer) belt. I would think anything that had timed blades would have to have a toothed belt.

bullrider

Threads
Thanks for the response and the reassurance, though I do kinda wish on a snazzy new mower, the deck would run as smoothly as it does on my older ones. I can live with it I suppose.
Just been running the tractor and driving it around to run the engine in a bit, the EFI seems to work very nicely, I won't be mowing for at least a few weeks so it'll be a while before I get to test the deck for real.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can often get a peek at the deck belt and idler by looking under the floorboard while the deck is running and I suspect that if you do that you will see a relationship to the movement and the vibration that you're feeling. Note that because the idler is always moving back and forth a little it's important to grease the pivot according to the maintenance schedule in your manual.

bullrider

Threads
Thanks, I'll give that a look. Doesn't sound like it's anything I can do much about though I'll be sure to keep the idler lubed. Years ago my dad had a Craftsman lawn tractor (late 60's) and I recall the two blades were driven by a Gilmer belt. I remember monkeying with that to get the blades from hitting each other. My old Wheel Horses have a shaft with gears that keeps them timed. I know one thing about the new Cub - checking underneath the tractor, those new blades are SHARP!