Engine howling at low engine speed

wolfey01

Threads
Hi Guys! I put the engine back into my 1622 after rebuilding.When I started it up I noticed a howling noise at low engine speed. It seems to be coming from the disc couplers that connect engine to the transmission. Noise seems to go away at wide open throttle. (or else the engine noise is drowning it out) Is there a way to ensure alignment of the disc couplers? Thanks!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi Guys! I put the engine back into my 1622 after rebuilding.When I started it up I noticed a howling noise at low engine speed. It seems to be coming from the disc couplers that connect engine to the transmission. Noise seems to go away at wide open throttle. (or else the engine noise is drowning it out) Is there a way to ensure alignment of the disc couplers? Thanks!

NOT quite sure, what you're trying to explain ..... click on link ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

Maybe if you posted your machines info. ( see EXAMPLE ) ..we can try to help you !

GET INFO.JPG click to enlarge

wolfey01

Threads
NOT quite sure, what you're trying to explain ..... click on link ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

Maybe if you posted your machines info. ( see EXAMPLE ) ..we can try to help you !

View attachment 36725 click to enlarge

While that link was amusing,(I'm not sure if you think I'm an idiot or just vocally inarticulate) Let me try to explain the problem again. When the engine is running at idle or low speed, (i.e. not wide open) there is a "howling" noise coming from the drive shaft that connects the engine to the T Box (transmission) My question is, is there a procedure for setting the flexible couplers (fiberglass discs) ? The only thing I can think to do is loosen the engine mounting bolts and move the engine to a different position, but if there is a better way, I would appreciate the input. Thank You! By the way, the noise was not present until I hooked the transmission drive shaft to the engine.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
While that link was amusing,(I'm not sure if you think I'm an idiot or just vocally inarticulate) Let me try to explain the problem again. When the engine is running at idle or low speed, (i.e. not wide open) there is a "howling" noise coming from the drive shaft that connects the engine to the T Box (transmission) My question is, is there a procedure for setting the flexible couplers (fiberglass discs) ? The only thing I can think to do is loosen the engine mounting bolts and move the engine to a different position, but if there is a better way, I would appreciate the input. Thank You! By the way, the noise was not present until I hooked the transmission drive shaft to the engine.

Sorry to cause you discomfort, without your machine's info, we don't know what we are trying to work with, .. ( see EXAMPLE ) ..GET INFO.JPG

from what your last post states, I believe.. it's a REGULAR TRACTOR in discussion here .. ?? Am I correct in my assumuption .. ?? MOST of THIS forum covers residential type lawn and garden tractors, but many here have knowledge of the the BIG tractor's as well. ..:smile:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have never worked on GrassHoppers but I have worked on lots of mowers with couplers. With that said, if you touched nothing other then the engine then you need to loosen the mounting bolts for the engine and adjust till the noise goes away. If you touched more than that then you have to adjust both pieces till the noise goes away.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
SORRY I didn't know a "1622" was a grasshopper Z mower, I have a problem when folks just post their SERIES NUMBER and NOT a MODEL number, .......... My bad !! .. :ashamed:..:frown:

THANKS for the assist Chuck !! .. :thumbsup:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
SORRY I didn't know a "1622" was a grasshopper Z mower, I have a problem when folks just post their SERIES NUMBER and NOT a MODEL number, .......... My bad !! .. :ashamed:..:frown:

THANKS for the assist Chuck !! .. :thumbsup:

GrassHoppers really do not need the actual model number to find info on them. They are the exceptions to the normal.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
GrassHoppers really do not need the actual model number to find info on them. They are the exceptions to the normal.

Had I only known !

wolfey01

Threads
My apologies also! The mower in question is a 1986 Model 1622 Grasshopper that I have been restoring. I had the engine out and rebuilt it. The drive shaft had to be removed in order to get clearance to remove the engine. My intent is not to insult, nor disparage any person nice enough to reply. Forgive me as this is my first (but certainly not the last) attempt at restoring a Grasshopper mower. So if any of my questions seem silly, please forgive me in advance! Thanks again!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
My apologies also! The mower in question is a 1986 Model 1622 Grasshopper that I have been restoring. I had the engine out and rebuilt it. The drive shaft had to be removed in order to get clearance to remove the engine. My intent is not to insult, nor disparage any person nice enough to reply. Forgive me as this is my first (but certainly not the last) attempt at restoring a Grasshopper mower. So if any of my questions seem silly, please forgive me in advance! Thanks again!

wolfey, you will find, the best of the best on this forum, these guys give it their best, and I say again, I'm sorry .. Boobala .. :thumbsup: