Mulching Bent side cover of Mulch Kit.... Suggestions on permanent repair...

JanJ

Threads
  • / Bent side cover of Mulch Kit.... Suggestions on permanent repair...
When I bought our 50" Quest S Steering Wheel mower, I had a Mulch kit installed from get-go....

Due to rocks, I'm finding that the Mulch cover that is added to block where the grass would be expelled, gets bent, and once it hit blades. I have found that a pipe wrench will bend the metal back.... but it's obvious that that metal cover is far less solid than the mower deck is....

My question is.... I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this... and if so.... what did you do..... to get around this problem???

I'm considering removing that metal cover and taking it to local welding place to have a stronger piece of metal welded to the outside, to stiffen that metal....

Is there a better solution? Another Stronger part? If a stronger part is available (Other than what comes with the mulch kit, as that is not as strong as the mower deck is), what's the revised part #?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you're hitting rocks with your mower to the point it's bending the mulch plate covering your discharge, you're doing something wrong. The mower is not designed to mow rocks!

JanJ

Threads
Don't be silly,
I'm not hitting rocks with blades.... Partially exposed rock can easily bend the mulch cover, as you ride past it....... but hitting the mower shield itself with partially submerged rock... Then it doesn't bend...
If the Mulch Cover contained metal as strong as the Mower Shield.... We wouldn't be having this conversation....

I didn't make the mulch cover, Exmark did.... I'm just trying to co-exist with a problem.... and come up with a decent solution!!!

I've posted multiple other issues here that remain un-solved.... Like....

Manual with errors in it that Exmark Support has no reference on... No Updated manual available...

Troubleshooting issues that are not listed in the manual....

Wanting to add a hold down system to attach a weed-eater....

Trying to find a decent sized water bottle that will actually FIT the water bottle indentation in the Quest S.....

And nothing ever gets posted.... !!!!! Kind-of Negates the usefulness of a forum if no one actually assists one another!!!! :)!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your issues seem to be pretty minor and nit picky. It's a lawn mower, not a luxury automobile.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
We can not fix a Manual. I read you manual post as educational, not as something we need to fix as we can not fix someone else's manuals. Your post on the water bottle is something only you can fix. Measure and head to the store with your measurements and buy one that fits. "Troubleshooting issues that are not listed in the manual" is not a post on this forum.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't be silly,
I'm not hitting rocks with blades.... Partially exposed rock can easily bend the mulch cover, as you ride past it....... but hitting the mower shield itself with partially submerged rock... Then it doesn't bend...
If the Mulch Cover contained metal as strong as the Mower Shield.... We wouldn't be having this conversation....

I didn't make the mulch cover, Exmark did.... I'm just trying to co-exist with a problem.... and come up with a decent solution!!!

Manual with errors in it that Exmark Support has no reference on... No Updated manual available...

Trying to find a decent sized water bottle that will actually FIT the water bottle indentation in the Quest S.....

And nothing ever gets posted.... !!!!! Kind-of Negates the usefulness of a forum if no one actually assists one another!!!! :)!

People are all different.
Read your posts on the manual and took them as an information post , uploaded for the benefit of other owners, and not requiring any feedback, although we should have posted a thank you or two for which I do appologise.
I for one read every post but if it is something I can not offer any help on I just skim through then close the tab. However you did not have any problems that I could help with so there was no point in me making a response .
Liquise with this post, prior to your addition I have nothing to offer the OP and have only chimed in to refute you claim that no one helps one another.

Exmark are a small company with a very small market share so Exmark specific posts will not get a big response on a purely mathematical basis.
There are a lot forums full of posters who post dozens of times a day on everything but say nothing of any use.
This forum OTOH seems to attract people who only post if they have something they consider useful to the OP and that makes it very concise and easy to search for answers which a lot of people do rather than start a new post.
I don't own an Exmark so I can not offer any help with water bottles or mounting a line trimmer, in fact I missed your request for that information, so here is the best I can do for you.
1) mulch plug- Exmark problem either make one out of old tyre that will bend or get a heavy one welded to the deck or go shopping and find one that can be made to fit. The Great Dane ones are the same heavy steel as the deck, all that I know.
2) manual - Exmark problem, nothing that I or any one else can do to fix that
3) Trimmer- don't know the layout of your mower but my customers fitted a U bracket to the ROPS and another one to the frame so the trimmer points down.
They all use a bent shaft trimmer cause you can not get the trimmer head on a strait shaft low enough to trim with while sitting in the seat.
A lot more have fitted a shelf over the top of the engine for a tank of weed spray and I have done this modification for several customers.
4) water bottle, go to a push bike shop & buy a clip on one with some brackets

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't be silly,

The only issue that you asked help for that you didn't get a reply for was the weed wacker mount. As far as the mulch plate goes. Try to avoid hitting rocks. Really. You know your yard. If you have to mark them do so. I don't think a more sturdy mulch plate is the answer. They make them pretty sturdy. Do you complain that your car dents if you hit something with it? :confused2: We can't fix operator error! We can't influence Exmark regarding their manuals either, and you reported that you already solved the water bottle problem.

JanJ

Threads
I was hoping that someone else with this option would have come up with a solution....
On the mulch post....
I guess that removing the shield and taking it to a local welder is my best solution....

I was expecting more 'help' from the forums here.... than what I'm encountering...

OK.... I'm on my own... BYE!

The only issue that you asked help for that you didn't get a reply for was the weed wacker mount. As far as the mulch plate goes. Try to avoid hitting rocks. Really. You know your yard. If you have to mark them do so. I don't think a more sturdy mulch plate is the answer. They make them pretty sturdy. Do you complain that your car dents if you hit something with it? :confused2: We can't fix operator error! We can't influence Exmark regarding their manuals either, and you reported that you already solved the water bottle problem.